October 09, 2007

With a little help from my friends...

What would you think if I sang out of tune,
Would you stand up and walk out on me?
Lend me your ears and I'll sing you a song,
And I'll try not to sing out of key.
Oh I get by with a little help from my friends...


I seem to be obsessed with song lyrics lately...and equally obsessed with the recipes I'm finding on many of your blogs. In this year's self-imposed moratorium on new book purchases, my del.icio.us list is growing faster than my cookbook shelf.

But I'm not just collecting recipes; I'm actually making them. Pictured to the right are a half dozen of your recipes as they've emerged from my kitchen over the last several months.

As the autumn chill settles in and the rainy season looms in the near future, I'm thinking a lot about soup. I bookmarked almost all 54 of Tami's Souper Soup contributions, so when my CSA box featured cauliflower, I knew exactly where to turn: Haalo's Cauliflower & Blue Cheese Soup. Yum. I can promise I'll be cooking THIS one far more than once!

When I had family with seafood allergies coming into town, I studied my list of recipes featuring chicken. And settled on Jenn's inspired Chianti Chicken Breasts, stretching my guests comfort zones by serving the dish with raisin and pine nut studded couscous and a salad of arugula, fresh jicama, sliced apples and avocado. With the leftover chicken breast I made chicken salad with grapes and walnuts.

The same house guests enjoyed Carrie's Cinnamon Apple Muffins warm out of the oven with the breakfast beverage of their choice on Monday morning. This recipe makes a TON of moist delicious treats; and when constructed with whole wheat pastry flour and diced apples, they're certainly healthier than a Krispy Kreme. These will be a regular product of my oven as long as apple season lasts.

Amy was afraid her photograph was unattractive, proving beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder. I knew on sight that this recipe was going to be a no-fuss winner, and wasted no time putting it on my menu. I chose to make her Miso Fish with local Sablefish (or black cod) and was quite pleased with the results. Thanks Amy. Five ingredients, less than 30 minutes active time, and you saved me a $20 investment in Ray Ray...

Six sun-sweetened heirloom tomatoes, a fresh bunch of basil begging to become pesto and the last wedge of an unctuous smoky goat cheese comprised my variation of Shane's adorable tomato tartlettes. When I make this again HER way, I'm going to take her advice and roast the tomatoes to bring out their flavor and reduce the overall moisture.

Back in August I folded the last pound of late summer cherries into this treasure from Helene at Tartlette. Her photographs are FAR superior to mine, but the end result smelled and tasted phenomenal -- and didn't last terribly long.

Six down. Forty four (and growing) more delicious links to follow...

Technorati Tags:

3 comments:

Julie said...

I love the song lyrics! It was one of the attracting features to the call for retro sweets.

I'm a soup fan, too, and am giddy as all get out that soup season is finally here! I enjoy soup all year around, but in Arizona, it's a bit hard during those 9 hot months of the year. I can't wait to see how your other soups turn out!

Elle said...

Yeah, I've got the lyrics thing going, too...but mine is not as fun as yours.

It is so cool that you not only bookmarked recipes from other bolgs, but actually made them. I do on occasion, but often forget to check them when it is time to decide what to cook or bake. Way to go!

Dharm said...

I think your idea of making recipes found on other bloggers sites is just great! And I get songs stuck in my head too all the time. Some say its a sign of aging...?? *Grin*