October 18, 2006

Rediscovering Grapes

Grapes.

As I kid, I adored them. Ate them like candy.

Somewhere along the way they dropped off my radar. Joined a well worn Raggedy Ann doll, a seasoned baseball mitt, a plaid uniform skirt paired with a crisply ironed white oxford blouse, a stack of Laura Ingalls, Beverly Cleary and Judy Blume books and a host of other things I've "outgrown" in my journey from "there" to "here".

Pity.

A year ago I joined a CSA, and the first of many joyous surprises in my weekly delivery was a pound of ueber-fresh red flame grapes. Sweet, yet slightly tart. Transporting me instantly back to the lunch recess behind the elementary school in the aforementioned plaid uniform. Yum.

I've spent the last year enjoying the other fruits and vegetables in my weekly box -- and waiting anxiously for the grapes to return.

They're back.

Excuse me while I go grab a handful and curl up with a well-worn copy of On the Banks of Plum Creek...

Technorati Tags: | | |

2 comments:

wheresmymind said...

I've been rediscovering my love of bananas thanks to my organic grocery delivery :)

Anonymous said...

Red grapes are so yummy. They are my favorite "diet" food.