October 29, 2007

Halloween-ie Bostini


As we segue from October to November (just *where* has 2007 gone?!?) it's time again for another installment of my trials and tribulations cursing a blue streak about misadventures with flour, sugar, butter and eggs: the Daring Baker challenge.

October's challenge: the Bostini Cream Pie. A twist on the traditional that pairs a rich vanilla custard with an orange-infused chiffon cake and then covers it in chocolate glaze, Mary of Alpineberry chose her favorite restaurant dessert to challenge and inspire us.

As I gathered the ingredients together -- more than a dozen eggs, close to a quart of heaving whipping cream *plus* a healthy dose of whole milk, a half a pound each of sugar, butter and chocolate -- I was pretty sure this one was going to be rich and opulent. And hey... with 3/4 cup of orange juice, it's healthy too, right? Gotta have that vitamin C!

The chiffon cake batter came together quickly and easily and soon the scent of baked orange permeated my kitchen. Because we're closing in on Halloween and the predominant colors in this dessert fit that theme and I've got a pumpkin shape cupcake pan I rarely get to use, I chose to make Halloweenie Bostini in pumpkin shapes. While I lubricated the pan well with oil and flour, my mini pumpkins still tended to cling to the pan for dear life. I worked with them patiently and ultimately got them all out with minimal damage (to them OR me), but I think this pan lends itself far better to a heavy battered confection. Since the recipe makes *far* more than twelve cakelettes, I used my silicon muffin pan for the remaining batter -- and these I was able to extricate without issue.

While the cakes cooled, I tackled the custard. Again, a fairly straightforward preparation. Over the course of the month several of my fellow Daring Bakers commented that the custard (really a pastry cream) didn't set firmly enough to slice it or pipe it to good effect, so I didn't even try. In hindsight, I think I could have. John's contribution was to stir the cooking custard to coat the bottom of a spoon, and at my instruction he may have gone overboard here - the end product was a firm, velvety voluptuous creamy custard base.

This recipe makes a LOT of rich (and caloric) individual servings. I think there are 14 in my refrigerator. And we have no plans to entertain soon. So I've stored the chocolate glaze in a squeeze bottle, brushed the pumpkin cakes with a bit of Cointreau so that they don't dry out and we're assembling them 'to order'. We tried one last night and these go to eleven -- a good thing, given the caloric content. They make a beautiful presentation, and I'll probably make them again when I need an impressive go-to dessert for a larger group.

For those of you inclined to try it out for yourself, you can find the recipe here. And hundreds of other highly creative interpretations here.

Technorati Tags: |

49 comments:

Gigi said...

Great job on the Bostini's! They look absolutely delicious.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

I had a devil of a time getting the little cakes out also but the sure do look pretty!

Anita said...

Halloween bostinis! So adorable! I love them:)

Jenny said...

And the large amounts the recipe makes is why I made my for Thanksgiving, when I knew I would be having company!
Course that was 3 weeks ago and I'd sacrifice myself right now to help you reduce your stash! :-)

Anonymous said...

Scary Bostini for halloweeny :)

Anh said...

you are so right. it is already nov. time passes quickly right?

And I love your halloween bostinis! :D

BC said...

Hallowe'enie Bostini, harhar. that's a hoot. Cursing a blue streak just happens with some of these challenges!

Elisabeth said...

Yeah, we have quite a few left in our refrigerator too. They were good but do I really have to eat 5 more by myself? My family better start helping me before I consume the rest.

Andrea said...

How cute! And I agree, the orange juice negates all of the calories and fat in the dessert. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Funny post, Dolores! I halved the recipe and still had a lot ... and I love the way you presented them!

Chris said...

Very cool fusion of food and festive occasion. :) Well done!

Alpineberry Mary said...

I admire you for trying to extract your cake in one piece from the pumpkin molds. It was well worth the effort. Nice job Dolores!

Lis said...

HAHAHAA! You had me at "cursing a blue streak" dear Lord you and I would have fun in the same kitchen. We'd make the Marine Corps. blush. ;)

Beautiful bostini! I love the lil pumpkins!

xoxo

Unknown said...

Nice job...I'm glad that I had friends to help me get rid of the dessert. I'd prefer NOT to think about the caloric content of these beauties!

Jen Yu said...

Oooh, all of you who took advantage of the Halloween theme did such a great job. I love the pumpkin cakes. Congrats on your Halloweenie bostinis!


-jen at use real butter

Elle said...

How festive in pumpkin shapes! But what are you going to do with 14 in the fridge?? Take them to a firehouse or police station or library or something, right? I was amazed and awed when I saw the calorie count of these babies...but they were delish!

Julie said...

They look good! Kudos for finessing the cakes out of the pumpkin pan; I would've thrown it across the room, I think!

Karen Baking Soda said...

I baked some of my cakes in silicone cupcake molds and even those had a hard time stepping out!
Halloweeni Bostini sounds great!

David T. Macknet said...

Oh, hindsight: it tells me that I'm glad that I scaled down the recipe to 2 servings ... and that I'm envious of those of you who didn't! Great job!

Deborah said...

I love the title of your post - it made me laugh! I really wish I had some pumpkin molds - how festive!!

Anonymous said...

wonderful job! Though you really needed to plan some sort of gathering for these as they are trouble. Maybe you can try freezing some?

marias23 said...

Ooo! The first picture of chocolate-soaked sponge cake looks absolutely droolworthy! :D

Dagmar said...

Great job!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Well done! Your Bostoni look delicious!

Cheers,

Rosa

breadchick said...

I always love coming over here and reading your Daring Baker posts! Great job as usual and as always, I love to bake with you every month!!

Christine said...

Very pretty! Congrats on a job well done!

Unknown said...

They look amazing! Everytime I look at bostini pictures, I want a bite even though I've had my share, believe me! lol

african vanielje said...

love your bostini pumpkins

Annemarie said...

I love the idea of making them into pumpkins and brushing them with cointreau to keep them moist. I also found the custard was nice and thick, which I really enjoyed eating!

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure I'm going to make them again too and you're putting me in the mood with your Halloweenis!

Julius said...

Your halloween bostinis look great!

~ Julius, The Occasional Baker

Brittany said...

Looks great--did you see the calorie count on Julius' blog....EEEEK!

Anonymous said...

I just love your little pumpkin cakes!

Brittany said...

Can you believe I made a full batch and hubby and I could only eat one??? I felt so wasteful when I had to toss the rotting bostini corpses....now theres a spooky image!
Great post, they look GREAT :)

Kelly-Jane said...

Great job, and you are right the orange juice must make it healthy =) =)!

Anonymous said...

Halloween-ie indeed! Great idea to keep them moist with the liquor too. I loved the subtle orange flavor. Great job!

Peabody said...

It does make a lot... and I halved it.
Lovely job as always.

glamah16 said...

Nice touch brushing the pumpkin cakes with Contrieu. Yummy.

Helene said...

Working my way up from the end of the alphabet this time..and finally my dera Dolores..here we are...any left?!! They look absolutely fantastic!

Simona Carini said...

It's definitely a recipe for an evening of entertaining a large group. Love the title of your post.

test it comm said...

Looks good. I like the idea of a pumpkin shaped baking dish.

Dharm said...

your Bostini's look absolutely great! Another thing we have in common now - Six Sigma!! :)

Amy said...

Great job! The pumpkin cakes are way cute. :D

Gabi said...

I love the Halloween-ie Bostini!
Such cute "pumpkins"!
Very nice post!
xoxo

eatme_delicious said...

Oh pumpkin cake molds sound really great. :) Too bad the cakes stuck to them so much!

Julius said...

Hi Dolores,

Thanks for dropping by my blog. I think it's amazing you're visiting all the bostinis. :)

I love your blog's layout (3 columns), and I love your bostini. Great idea to portion them for 18 servings. :)

Julius, The Occasional Baker

Chelsea said...

Halloween and Bostinis - what an inspired combination! They look delish! Puts the Reeces and Snickers bars to shame!

The Caked Crusader said...

Thank you for your lovely comment you left on my site - I'm proud that you enjoy my little offerings!

Great Bostinis by the way!

LizG said...

Great tie-in with Hallowe'en! Looks great. Well done.