April 08, 2009

What IS this?

This mystery vegetable showed up in this morning's CSA box.

Can anyone out there tell me what it is? It's fairly hearty, with a mild bitterness in its raw state.

Is it some odd breed of kale? Dandelion greens? Something altogether different? The only thing on the list that I couldn't easily identify in the box was green garlic, and I'm pretty confident it's NOT that.

And while we're at it, I'll take any ideas you have for what I might do with it...

Delicious Bookmark this on Delicious

3 comments:

Jennywenny said...

I had some in my CSA box a while back and I treated it like kale, its pretty hearty. I think I put it in a big pot of soup with lentils.

Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

Those are dandelion greens. My grandmother's favorite salad green; a weed for many, although it is becoming very popular especially in organic and farmer markets.

Ayla said...

That is most certainly kale. Very delicious. Easiest way to prepare it is to saute in a hot pan with just a bit of liquid (balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, soy sauce, etc.) so it wilts and softens. Toss on some salt and you're done.