February 26, 2008

Better with Butter (Healthier with Whole Wheat)

When Ashley of Eat Me, Delicious announced that this week's Dorie recipe would be Pecan Sour Cream Biscuits, I had mixed reactions.

On the positive side, I was looking forward to a sabbatical from sweets, and traditional breakfast fare would fit well into my Saturday routine -- the only open space in a busy week and weekend. On the downside, I've had my share of challenges with the butter-flour combination, and (admitting that my childhood experience with them centers around the Pillsbury Dough Boy) biscuits aren't high on my list of favorite foods.

But these challenges are about stretching my skills and reaching outside of my comfort zone. And it was kind of appropriate that this breakfast would fuel my first session with my new personal tormentor trainer. What better pre-workout treat than homemade biscuits?

Like last week I strayed slightly from the published recipe, incorporating a half cup of whole wheat pastry flour and opting out of the pecans, which aren't a favorite in my household. The result? Yum! Move aside Pillsbury...I've found a biscuit I can get excited about and a recipe I'll definitely return to.

Check out fifty-some other experiences with this recipe at the Tuesdays with Dorie blogroll.

Technorati Tags: | |

12 comments:

Peabody said...

Way to make them your own.

Engineer Baker said...

Great idea to use whole wheat pastry flour!

eatme_delicious said...

Great use of whole wheat pastry flour! I must try that. They look great.

breadchick said...

OK, after seeing all these biscuits, I had to try them last night but like you added 1/2 a cup of white whole wheat to them. They WERE fantastic!!!

Lori said...

I'm going to have to try the whole wheat pastry flour. I'm always looking for ways to make tasty things a little healthier for me.

Anonymous said...

i love that you used whole wheat flour! i've been hesitant to incorporate wwf into my baking but i guess i too need to work a little outside of my comfort zone. great job on these!

Cheryl said...

So that makes them healthy right? And I can eat like 20 of them and be fine!!!

kellypea said...

I love anyone who does her own thing with a recipe! And we are biscuit lovers over here. Nice!

Cynthia said...

You know, I've never been a biscuit fan (my introduction to it was via KFC) I know, I know, please don't judge me.

But after reading your post I feel encouraged to try making my own.

Unknown said...

hey i came around for the DB challenge.. but these look great too.. my father would be so happy if i susbtitute flour for whole wheat flour in everything!

Jaime said...

your biscuits look great!

Anonymous said...

I like that you added a little whole wheat to them... and I bet they were fabulous!