June 26, 2008

OLS: From the Ocean and the Earth

A fillet of butterfish caught off of Half Moon Bay. A pint of strawberries, three sun-sweetened peaches and an avocado from my CSA. Some red skinned potatoes, and half onion from a midweek trip to the farmer's market. And a little bit of imagination. There you have the ingredient list for last night's dinner, my second contribution to One Local Summer.

I boned and cut my half pound fillet into four chunks, dredged the pieces in (non-local) seasoned flour, a bit of Strauss cream, and back in the flour mixture to create a coating. While the fish sauteed, I sliced the fruits and tossed them with salt, pepper, and a bit meyer lemon juice.

Including 30 minutes to roast the potato and onion mixture, I had dinner ready in less than an hour, a meal every bit as satisfying as anything I'd seen come out of the Hell's Kitchen I had playing in the background, assembled primarily from ingredients grown less than 100 miles from the kitchen in which I prepared them. It's meals like these that leave me thankful that I live in Northern California with abundant access t to fresh local food.

From the archives...
In 2007 I announced round six of Leftover Tuesdays.

Technorati Tags: | |

1 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That's a delicious dish! Original tasting and refreshing!

Cheers,

Rosa