June 10, 2008

TWD: My cheatin' tart

So this week's Tuesdays with Dorie assignment comes to us from Marie of A Year from Oak Cottage: La Palette's Strawberry Tart.

I participated. But by some standards I cheated.

You see in the name of economizing and in getting a handle on what I have in "inventory" I'm working my way through the freezer. And way down at the bottom, beneath a hunk of tri tip and two bags of edamame, I found a bag of frozen pastry dough. Leftover from my April contribution to A Taste of Yellow. And thus Thomas Keller's pine nut pate sable became the base for Dorie's strawberry tartlettes.

I baked off the tartlette shells, spread the warm pastry with some strawberry chipotle jam, topped it with a generous handful of Swanton Berry Farm strawberries and a dollop of jam studded goat yogurt. In fifteen minutes from freezer to table we have a sweet light dessert that makes the perfect ending to a warm summer weekend.

I know I'm going to make this again and again this summer and well into the fall (with Dorie's tart recipe as well as Thomas'). It's a great way to showcase whatever fruit flavors are abundant throughout the seasons.

Want to try this in your kitchen? Dorie has the recipe posted here.

From the archives...
In 2007 I refused to be conquered by cupcakes.

Technorati Tags: | | | Key Ingredient:

23 comments:

Gretchen Noelle said...

I am always intrigued by what people can pull out of their freezer and make into something great! Strawberry chipotle?!? That makes me really intrigued.

Peabody said...

That is not cheating...it's be efficent. :)

Anonymous said...

I think you did good with the pine but crust. Sounds delectable.

Di said...

I'm trying to get better about having stuff stashed in my freezer. It would improve the odds of me getting Sunday breakfast on the table before lunchtime... =) Nice job.

Rachel said...

What to use what you've got. However, you simply must try that tart dough. It's great, even alone!

kimberly salem said...

i don't consider it cheating if you made the dough originally! the strawberries look yummy :)

Anonymous said...

Hooray for freezer fishing! Nice tart.

Linda said...

It's fun to read everyone's twist on this recipe...the strawberry chipotle jam and goat yogurt sounds interesting...and delish!

Shandy said...

I can not believe you found all those ingredients and made a dessert so fast! WoW! Every aspect of your dessert is ingenious and I am so curious with how the Strawberry chitpotle jam tastes?

Thank you for the warm welcome too =).

Liliana said...

Your tart looks delicious! Having stuff stashed away in the freezer is great idea.

Annemarie said...

I think that was very smart! I need to freeze more extras...I always forget!

Heather B said...

yum! That crust sounds delicious! Great job!

Jules Someone said...

You are so fired. And the tarts will have to be confiscated. By me. Gorgeous!

Susan @ SGCC said...

Whichever dough you used, your tart looks beautiful! I love the goat yogurt idea. I've tried it before and really liked it. Well done!

Bumblebutton said...

Nice improvisation, you thrifty girl! Your flavors sound so intriguing...wish I could try!

Jenny said...

Nice cheating. Looks lovely.

ostwestwind said...

I am impressed, what you turned out of your freezer. Your tart looks great!

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

Chris said...

I don't see any cheating going on here...:) Looks fabulous!

R said...

Rock on with the cheating!! I managed to burn my crust, so the freezer dough sounds like a smooth operator!

Anonymous said...

You cheater! Looks good and proves that cheating is good sometimes! Don't you love the swanton strawberries, but have you tried the Blue Moon Organics - OH MY GOD!!!! The best! I did go to Swanton this week and we picked about 7 baskets of them - super good and fun.

Shari@Whisk: a food blog said...

Thomas Keller's pine nut pate sable as a stand-in for this tart would be delicious!
Shari@Whisk: a food blog

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Strawberry-chipotle jam? Hot damn! That sounds good.

Jaime said...

that strawberry chipotle jam sounds amazing!