February 21, 2012

Two-Fer Tuesday


We're BAAAAAAAACK!

The ladies and gentlemen who spent the better part of three years baking their way through Dorie Greenspan's Baking - From My Home to Yours have a new project for 2012.Over three hundred home bakers from around the world are lining up their measuring spoons and mixing bowls and baking their way through Baking with Julia. According to the brains behind the operation, four of the bakers are men. Fifty three of us are Californians.

That's right, us. Welcome to Tuesdays with Dorie, redux: Baking with Julia. Please fasten your seat belts, and keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle at all times. If the first two recipes are any indication, it promises to be a wild, sugar soaked, butter laden ride.

Uh huh. I said two recipes. I wasn't willing to pull my dad's signed copy of the book out from under plastic, so I killed some time procuring a working copy. The rest of the group started two weeks ago, with the White Loaves on page 81. Our foundress Laurie and her faithful sidekick Jules hosted the inaugural run, and if you're looking for the recipe, you can either buy the book or head to their blogs for it. And let me just say the book is worth the purchase price for this recipe alone.

I'm no stranger to bread baking. I've baked some pretty tasty loaves over the years. So the fact that I've uttered the words "the best white bread. ever" no less than a dozen times in the last 48 hours is non-trivial. The recipe makes two loaves. They slice easily, toast beautifully, and won't make it to the weekend.

The recipe behind curtain number two features chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate. The Chocolate Truffle Tartlets on page 382 showcase bittersweet chocolate as the headliner, with white and milk chocolate chips in supporting roles, and a cameo appearance by dutch processed cocoa in the crumbly pastry crust. Our hosts Steph, Spike, Jaime and Jessica have the recipe for you. Don't let the term tartlet fool you. These are for sharing. Three or four ways. They taste like candy. And they freeze beautifully.

And as our heroine Julia would say, bon appetit!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you joined us too (even if two weeks late), it's great to meet so many people in the group!!!

Erin said...

The loaves and the tarts were so good! This is a great group!

Nana said...

Tricia and I will be dividing the baking on the blog
since we do FFWD also. This was her week and I will
say she made a lovely tart with all this gorgeous
chocolate. It looks like this will be a fun group.

Sara said...

Your dad has a signed copy?! That's so cool! Also, props doing two at once :)

Heather said...

I, too, am admiring you doing both so close together! They look fantastic!

Unknown said...

You had a busy week!

spike. said...

Log, I wouldn't want to ruin a signed copy either! Both recipes look great

Unknown said...

Thanks for baking along with us this week! Go California (my native home, though I have been exiled on the east coast for nearly 20 years).

Cher Rockwell said...

How fun to make this a two-fer. ANd I think I would be a little nervous to work off the signed copy too.