April 15, 2006

Camera shy on a classic Hollywood date - Bing Crosby's Restaurant & Piano Bar (Walnut Creek)



I charged the battery...

I slid the camera into my purse...

I intended to regale my readership with snapshots of the souvenier stand featuring golf shirts, caps and aprons with the Bing's logo. Of the photos of der-Bingle that adorned the walls. Of the Casablanca-meets-Hollywood ambiance that surrounded us. Of the beautifully plated Trio of Ahi Tuna. Of the idiot waiter who commented that one of our favorite Amador County wines was the only selection on the menu with a screw top after trying to open it with a corkscrew.

But when it came down to snapping the pictures, I got camera shy...

So all I have to show from our trip to Bing's is the rather crappy picture I took of the marquis (I clearly need to consult the instruction manual on "night" pictures) and this one I purloined from Open Table.

I wanted to like Bing's -- really I did. There's a special place in my heart for all things classic Hollywood. Souvenier stand notwithstanding, the restaurant held promise. A swanky lounge with a piano bar that features 42 martini selections (one for each of his hits). Three themed dining rooms -- the "Oscar" Room reflecting the glitz and glamour of a bygone era; the "Country Club," a nostalgic look at Bing's playful side (complete with an impressive collection of his golf memorobilia); and the "Wine Room" -- a reflection, I suppose, of the restaurant's varied wine selections. I half expected to run into Cary Grant or Clark Gable in the lounge, Barbara Stanwyck emerging from the ladies room, Marlene Deitrich playing poker with the boys in a backroom... But in the end, Bing's delivered far more sizzle than substance.

We started with the Trio of Aji Tuna - Nori Seared, Spicy Tartare, Marinated in Watermelon. Of the three, only the watermelon marinated version really delivered. I realize we're extremely spoiled sushiphiles, but when we order sashimi, we expect it to be of the highest quality. The nori seared tuna wouldn't have worked raw. And the spicy tartare was pulverized beyond recognition, and not terribly spicy.

We decided to split two entrees to get a greater feel for the menu. After some deliberaiton, I chose Grilled Atlantic Salmon with Citrus Beurre Blanc Wild Mushroom Risotto and Roasted Vegetable Ragout. Actually, I really didn't deliberate. I expressed an interest in the Salmon and one of the beef entrees, and asked our waiter for his opinion. He decided I would have the salmon because he wasn't fond of beef. Hmm. Okay...

John opted for the Five Peppercorn Crusted Aji Tuna with Garlic Shoestring Potatoes Braised Winter Greens, Brandy Cream and Glazed Cippolini Onions. This is when camera-shy really took it's toll on me -- everything we ordered was presented beautifully and I wanted so badly to share the artistic presentations with you. But I couldn't shake the vision of gawdy, pushy tourists and my camera remained tucked in my purse. You'll have to take my word for it 'til I get more comfortable with my food blogging self...

In the end, as pretty as it was, the food just didn't deliver. Sure, it was good. But I wanted great. So we blew off dessert, paid the check and headed off to our home away from home to wrap up our evening.

Bing Crosby's
1342 Broadway Plaza, Walnut Creek
925.939.2464 (that's 939.BING ... isn't that clever?)

0 comments: