June 01, 2007

Hail, Caesar!

Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears;
I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.
The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones...

When Katie from Other People's Food announced Caesar Salad as the theme for HHDD, I chose this recipe for Caesar Salad with Skewered Shellfish. Unfortunately, life intervened and I missed the deadline. (Checkout the roundup for some of the most mouth-watering interpretations of lettuce I've ever seen).

Fortunately for me, fellow Daring Bakers Kelly and Lis realized swimsuit season looms ahead. In response, they've temporarily abandoned flour, sugar, butter and eggs, embracing the ultimate diet staple: the salad. Their call for contributions to Salad 'Stravaganza gave me a second chance with Caesar.

We prepared the salad pretty much as-published, and although I suspect under nutritional analysis the dressing wouldn't qualify as light it was quite tasty and will probably become our go-to recipe for homemade Caesar dressing. Leftover salad dressing would make a great topping for grilled chicken or baked potatoes.

For the diet-minded, it could pretty easily be lightened without sacrificing much; the garlic, anchovies and Parmesan would more than make up for light mayo. One caveat on that note: this is probably *not* the salad for a first date...the garlic and anchovies aren't generally conducive to first kisses.

On the positive side this salad goes together quickly and plates beautifully. It would make a great light summer meal; grilling the seafood keeps the heat out of the kitchen.

Let's carve him as a dish fit for the gods...

Technorati Tags: | |

9 comments:

kellypea said...

I got your entry, and thanks! I did exactly the same thing with the HHDD caesar entry. In fact, that's my post today. Nothing like being a serious slacker, huh?

Barbara said...

I'm sorry you missed Hay Hay Its Donna day. The salad looks wonderful.

Cynthia said...

Oh it indeed plates beautifully and I can just imagine how good it tastes.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving compliments that inspire confidence. :) Your visit has helped me to discover yours as well and I am adding you to my feeds and roll.

David said...

first food blog I've come across with a Shakespeare quote as a lead in, nice!

Dolores said...

Kelly - I'm just glad you and Lis gave me a second chance to post the salad -- it turned out yummy!

Barbara - Next month for *sure*.

Cynthia - your photography is phenomenal and I'm looking forward to learning more about Caribbean cuisine prepared at home.

David - It's in my blood...my dad was an English teacher. :)

Warda said...

You made it for me, right. I know you made this salad for me. I can read my name all over it.

Shaun said...

I think lemongrass is an interesting inclusion that pairs so well with shellfish...I will just stick with shrimp, though - scallops are not my thing. Lovely presentation, too.

Kelly-Jane said...

Looks great, I like to pad out a salad to make it a real main attraction, and I love prawns!

Anonymous said...

Mmm... looks really yummy to me! :P