December 02, 2007

Great Greens

If strawberries signal springtime, sun gold tomatoes are my late summer candy and grapes herald the early autumn harvest, then spinach is one of the best winter vegetables to grace my CSA box.

And the recipe here is one of my favorite simple ways to prepare it.

Be forewarned that I never measure with this one; I make it as my grandmother did and a bunch of this and a handful of that is the best I can do for you. Try it. Experiment. And enjoy.

Spinaci con Pinoli e Passerine

Rinse one or two bunches of spinach with cold water. Remove stem ends. Shake spinach gently over sink to remove excess water. Place damp spinach in a large saute pan and cook over medium heat until greens begin to wilt. Drain well and set aside.

Coat saute pan with 1-2 glugs of olive oil, swirling pan to ensure even coverage. Place over medium heat and add 2-3 finely chopped shallots or one onion. Saute until tender and golden but not brown, 8-10 minutes.

Add spinach, one healthy handful of raisins and one scant handful of pine nuts to onions; continue to saute until they're warmed through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

This can be served warm or cold as a side dish, and is excellent mixed into scrambled eggs ala Joe's Special.

Resources used:
organic spinach from the CSA box.

Welcome Holidailies readers. Last year at this time I explained what Culinary Curiosity's all about.

Technorati Tags: | Key Ingredient:

5 comments:

Jerry said...

This is a new twist on a favorite of mine. I've got to admit I've never used raisins or pine nuts with my spinach, but I think it's worth a shot!

Looks wonderful.

annie said...

This looks fabulous. I made spinach with red onions and garlic last night, and I'll do this next - it seems like this preparation would add some great texture and balance some of the, well, spinach-y taste that my family dislikes. Great blog, by the way!

Anonymous said...

That does sound good. Hmmm, have some baby spinach, have some raisins, even have a couple of shallots... but no pine nuts. Okay, spinach salad tonight, maybe your recipe another night. (But it does sound tasty!)

Glenna said...

mmmm...yummy! I was thinking "sounds great even for breakfast" and then you mentioned putting the eggs in and I was definitely hungry.

Karen said...

Yum. This looks great. And I love Joe's idea to pair it with eggs.