March 15, 2008

Skeevy. The new Skanky.

As I hurtle headlong into a decade that begins with a 4, allow me a moment to indulge my inner teenager.

In 1986, skanky was the adjective we used to describe something... well... skanky. Undesirable. Icky. Gross. Apparently in 2008, the new word is skeevy. At least according to Annie of Forest Street Kitchen, and the dictionary of all things 21st century seems to agree. As Annie did in December, today I share my personal collection of skeevy foods... kind of the antithesis of last week's guilty pleasures.

1. High Fructose Corn Syrup - the more I read about it, the less I like it. It dupes your digestive system into eating more. It's hell on your kidneys. It tastes chemical...not a surprise when you study the chemistry involved in producing it. And it's in *everything*.

2. Tongue - I'm with Annie. Gross gross GROSS.

3. Liver - See tongue. To quote Ondrya Wolfson, barf out! Grody to the max!

4. Beets - Yeah, I know they're the in thing right now. But I can't get past the canned slices on top of cafeteria salads. Yuck-o.

5. Soy Sausage. Non-Dairy Creamer. Cool Whip - Sausage is made of pork, not plants. Cream IS a dairy product. My grandparents knew this. Why are we making fake forms of real foods that don't begin to live up to the originals?!?

I could go on, but that's my short list. What about you? What foods ick you out?

From the archives...
In 2006, I found Flat Out. Which doesn't contain HFCS.

Technorati Tags:

0 comments: