January 15, 2008

Carbonara alla Cosentino

Back in early December, our bi-weekly "piglet" sachetto of tasty salted pig parts came with a nice chunk of Guanciale (a salt-cured pork jowl, mostly found in the region of Emilia-Romagna) which the newsletter proclaimed is the traditional cured meat used to make the famous dishes Amatriciana and carbonara. They provided a recipe for the former. And we've been after the guys at Boccalone for Chris' recipe for carbonara ever since.

We got it a week or so ago.

And it was wa-aaaa-ay worth the wait.

I can't comment on the ease of preparation or lack thereof on this one; my contributions included stopping at Whole Foods for cheese, then boiling and draining the pasta. Have I mentioned lately how much I appreciate the fact that John knows his way around the kitchen?

I can, however, comment on the taste. Rich. Unctuous. And quite authentic, if what came out of my grandmother's and great-aunts' kitchens are any indication. A little of this goes a long way (which is good because it's pretty calorically dense). Next time (and there will be a next time) we're going to scrap the oak-y California chardonnay (which was open) in favor of a crisper pinot grigio in the recipe -- that should play better against the dish's richness. And we're going to take a piece of John's go-to carbonara recipe and add a bit of Boccalone's spicy Italian sausage to the mix. Because one can never have too many tasty salted pig parts...

Technorati Tags: | |

5 comments:

Cakespy said...

Oh man! I am having a late night finishing up art deadlines before a trip tomorrow...I can see I should not have come here!! It's cheez its and leftover indian food for my midnight snack...but this looks luscious!

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Wow, that looks delicious! And yes, thumbs up to tasty salted pig parts.

Chou said...

Lucky you to have such fun culinary tidbits sent your way occasionally! :) I hope the future holds more people/businesses offering artisan foods for delivery.

jasmine said...

Oh my. Really like the description...could go for a bowl of this right now...

j

test it comm said...

That pasta with salt cured pork looks really good.