October 01, 2007

Great minds think alike

Remember when I mentioned I portioned part of my bun dough off for another project?

Let me step back a bit and explain...

About a week ago, Inge of Vanielje Kitchen posited a variation on the upcoming September challenge: sticky buns made with lavender and apples.

Little did she know she was reading my mind; that's precisely what I had in mind as my contribution to this month's They Go Really Well Together.

It all started in the heat of the summer when I went searching for single serve springform pans. I found them... and $50 US in other kitchen supplies I didn't know I needed when I walked into the store.

Including an adorable bottle of lavender extract. A bottle I've spent three months staring at trying to figure out how to employ.

When I saw the recipe for the cinnamon bun fondant I had a lavender-scented epiphany. Apple horns. Seasoned with vanilla sugar and crushed dried lavender. And drizzled in fondant flavored with my extract.

See... I NEEDED that bottle of extract! REALLY I did!

In the end, my sweet roll test audience was torn. (In an exercise in extreme will power, John and I limited our midnight snacking to the single bun that leads Sunday's late night post and packed the rest for sharing with friends tonight.) Most loved the comfortable warm familiarity the cinnamon buns. But everyone who made the stretch was amazed that the lavender, vanilla and apples really DID play well together. Marce... Inge... thanks to both of you for the inspiration you provided; this one is a winner.

Technorati Tags: | | Key Ingredients: , ,

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

mm...that recipe looks delicious. :) I remember once we were so happily eating the cake that we forgot to take a picture of it for my post the next day. By the time we realised it, it was too late. There wasn't any slice left.

Deborah said...

What a great idea for those ingredients! I've never done anything with lavender before, but all of these recipes sound so intriguing to me!

Anonymous said...

Dolores, I've been curious about the lavender as I have never used it. You inspired me to go find it and experiment. That apple bun looks delicious by the way :)

Peabody said...

I agree...you needed that extract! :)
Sounds like you have a great combination going on there.

Helene said...

That sounds really itringuing and what a great use of leftover dough! can I ask you the source of your lavender extract?

Dolores said...

I bought the extract at Sur La Table. I don't see it on their website. The manufacturer is Star Kay White (http://www.starkaywhite.com/extracts.htm). I also don't see it on THEIR website, but they show the rose extract, which I bought at the same time.

Let me know if you track it down!

Andrea said...

Wow, that sounds so delicious! I love the idea of the lavender extract, and OF COURSE you needed it! ;-)

Elle said...

Perfect pairing...I can jsut imagine the wonderful smell of apples and lavender and yeast dough and vanilla. MMMM.

Kristin said...

Hi Dolores,
your combination of lavender and apple sound really nice. I think I am trying it as well next time I do the dough.

thepassionatecook said...

you know, i've been meaning to make some apple jam with lavender for a while, all i need to do is go harvesting the vast fields of lavender we have outside our (dream) house (in provence)... i wish! although i do find the odd lavender bush here, i figure i better buy some that is produced in a controlled environment ;-)

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Thanks for visiting my site Dolores. So far everything looks great on your site as well!!!I love sticky buns!!

Belinda said...

Yes, you DID need that bottle of lavender extract, Dolores...and you certainly put it to great use! What a wonderful recipe you came up with. It sounds simply delicious, and I'm so curious about cooking with lavender after reading Inge's round up. :-) Great job on your contribution to the event!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Um . . . lavender. I don't have a bottle, looks like I really am working up to another trip to Pensys when we get back to Dallas.

Anonymous said...

that´s a very intriguing combination! And of course you needed the lavander extract!