April 27, 2008

Pop!

Subtitle: Playing with Food.

Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey? Yeah you got *that* right.

Brought to us by Elle of Feeding my Enthusiasms and Deborah of Taste and Tell, his month's Daring Baker selection would be the *perfect* project for a tween/teen slumber party. Or a red hat girl's night in. Or any estrogen-heavy event in between.

Cheesecake Pops!

I procrastinated. Again. Started the cheesecakes yesterday, where cream cheese packaging and egg shells fought for space with crawdad shrapnel in the discard bin. And I think I've finally found a recipe that overwhelms Mo's trusty four quart Kitchen Aid. Five 8-ounce packages of cream cheese pushed the mixer bowl nearly to the brim.

I chilled the cheesecakes overnight as directed, and started forming cheesecake balls early Sunday morning. I had big plans: my 2 ounce cookie scoop would make the perfect cheesecake sphere. I abandonned that brilliant idea with pop number 3 (out of seventy-some... not the 30-40 the recipe promised) and resorted to my fingertips and the palms of my hands. Messy yes, but far more efficient.

Into the freezer for two hours while I tidy the kitchen and prepare the rest of the house for company; we were an hour away from hosting our dance group's monthly board meeting. And I discovered that dipping cheesecake in melted chocolate and and rolling them in graham cracker crumbs is a great way to diffuse the frustration these meetings often engender. When I was done with the pops, I was still in the mood to feed and socialize with the group.

After we cleaned up the barbecue fixings, we packed up the pops and toted them to the dance the group was hosting that afternoon for beginner dancers. And I'm proud to say my pops were the runaway hit of the buffet table.

Want to try cheesecake pops for yourself? Elle and Deborah both have it posted for you. Curious how the other 900-some Daring Bakers fared? Check out the blog roll. And while you're surfing, head on over to the brand new Daring Baker website and see what's happening in the public forums.

Technorati Tags: | | | | Key Ingredient:

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your pops look perfect! I'm sure they were the hit of the night.

dailydelicious said...

Your pops are great, and I'm late too.

Anonymous said...

Your pops look awesome! I love the graham cracker crumbs.

glamah16 said...

Glad you got to make it.It is a girls treat for sure. I like the choco and graham craker crumb.

Ritsumei said...

Your pops are perfect! I'll bet that graham crackers are great for this. Yum. Thanks for visiting me!

Deborah said...

Wonderful job on your pops! I started with a scoop as well, but quickly learned that it was easier with my hands. I'm glad they were so well received!

eatme_delicious said...

Mmm looks good! Seventy something cheesecake pops?? I would've been laying on the couch for a long while after that.

Jessica said...

Your pops turned out great! It's funny because I started rolling with my hands and then abandoned that for my scoop! Mine was just too runny to roll. Great job!

Elle said...

Great pops! Glad you had fun with it and that they were a hit. Love the idea of an estrogen heavy gathering to make some more :)

Meeta K. Wolff said...

Nice to see the cheesecake pops again. They look lovely!

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I'm also diggin' the mudbugs below! :)

Jaime said...

looks great! i had a hard time rolling mine into balls as well (ended up w/a bunch of cheesecake on my hands!) but the result was so worth it! :)

Dharm said...

Your Pops look just great Dolores! Sorry I haven't been around much on your blog - I sooo wish I had more time to visit everyone!

creampuff said...

I'm so glad everyone enjoyed them ... they kind of were messy but I guess messy is good every once and awhile. Great job!

Joy said...

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to resort to using my hands! Lovely job.

Helene said...

Late again to admire your creations...but oh my! You did a fabulous job! Makes me wish I still had some in the freeer :)

Tiffany @ Lattes And Life said...

Kudos to you for using your hands!! That was one sticky messy cheesecake mess :-)

Meryl said...

Oh, I love the crumbs--they're so simple and pretty.