July 23, 2008

One Local Breakfast on the go

Let me start by saying that I wouldn't trade my experience with the Doristas or the Daring Bakers for the world. I've learned that fruit studded desserts are every bit as satisfying as chocolate. Conquered my fear of pie crust. Together we've made cinnamon rolls and scones, cakes, custard and caramel. And I even won an award along the way. My non-blogging friends laugh and call my baking groups a poor man's pastry school. I'm pretty sure I can't put a price tag on the experience I've had and the lessons I've learned along the way.

But with the increased investment in butter, flour, sugar, eggs and cream, your heroine's in a bit of a bind. Since she's a little... um... mature to be outgrowing her clothes every six months, she opted for a membership at the gym -- and two sessions a week with a personal trainer to keep her honest.

I meet with Lizette at seven on Tuesday and Thursday mornings, and I learned very quickly that breakfast beforehand is NOT optional. But anyone who knows me is aware I shouldn't be left alone with sharp objects or fire before the crack of noon, so breakfast's got to be quick, simple and fairly mindless to put together.

My most recent solution: a breakfast burrito constructed largely of leftovers. Tomato and cucumber studded guacamole (veggies chopped and assembled the night before). A generous handful of broccoli sprouts. A soft scrambled egg (ssshhh... I only had the flame going for a couple of minutes). Wrapped in a hearty tortilla. Wrapped in a paper towel and eaten on the drive to the gym. Perfect to fuel twenty minutes on a treadmill and a half hour on the circuit with Lizette.

And since all of the ingredients are products of the farmer's market, my CSA and a generous friend's garden, this grub on the go qualifies as my contribution to One Local Summer this week.

Technorati Tags: | | Key Ingredient:

7 comments:

A_and_N said...

one could always use new ways to get rid of leftover that do not involve the words 'trash' and 'can' :)

Steph said...

I love it when leftovers are creatively turned into another meal altogether.

MacDuff said...

This looks awesome, for any meal! You are much more organized than I am. I buy those eggo waffles that are already coated in maple syrup sheen. They always look like a good idea, you know?

I'm with you on the need for constant exercise since joining TWD. My weekly mileage had to take a massive jump...

Bronwyn said...

Quick, easy, and healthy! This breakfast is a keeper. I can't wait to try it one sleepy morning, wrapped in a paper towel walking to class. Thanks for the great post!

Meandering Eats said...

I know what you mean... food is good, but seriously, my Buddha belly is an inch shy of nirvana. I just switched to a new gym package that includes sessions with a trainer, so I'm looking forward to whipping myself into shape. My trainer called the other day and told me to eat breakfast beforehand. I normally don't b/c of cramps, but after reading your post, a light breakfast it is! The burrito looks fantastic!

Judy said...

This sounds like a nice change from the usual breakfast.

I've tagged you for a meme -- details are on my blog.

Anonymous said...

I just joined TWD but I can see how the weekly goodies will add up! I'm already back at the gym this summer after a year in grad school (a lot of reading, not a lot of movement)-- TWD won't help that, but might help with my stress level! Thanks for reminding me how yummy breakfast burritos can be. Breakfast is a must before hitting the gym!