July 22, 2008

TWD: Life IS a bowl of cherries...

Subtitled Effective Meeting Management 101: Navigating (Square Dance) Politics.

If you've been around a while and paying attention, you know that John and I square dance, and that we have spent the last several years as officers of our regional dancers association. And if you've ever taken a leadership role in a recreational activity, you know that the "politics" involved rival anything going on in the state, local or international arena.

One of the obligations of serving on our executive board is hosting the occasional meeting. And I learned during our April meeting that this hosting obligation comes with some benefits. My living space is fairly open, so I can hang out in the comfort of my kitchen and still keep tabs on what's happening in the living room/dining room area. I learned when hosting the April meeting that I could multi-task, that assembling the Daring Baker Cheesecake Pops gave me a delightful diversion from the discussion at hand. AND the promise of tasty treats after the meeting kept most people on their best behavior.

So when we hosted the July meeting this Sunday, I was grateful that Amanda from Like Sprinkles on a Cupcake added Cherry Rhubarb Cobbler to this week's Tuesdays with Dorie dessert menu. A chance to take out my stress with a cherry pitter! And the baking smells emanating from the oven might have limited debate as people anticipated the lunch and dessert to come. Score!

I stuck pretty close to the recipe this week (which you can find on Amanda's blog) with the exception of the rhubarb. When I couldn't find any in four market stops I decided to substitute the plums that are overrunning my fruit bowl at the moment. They provided a similar tart texture and their juices were perfect for sopping up with the cobbler topping.

Speaking of the topping, the recipe made a LOT more than I needed to cover my 8x8 pan. So I sugared up several pints of blackberries and made some mini cobblers too.

In the end the executive board didn't even get to taste the fruits of my labor. Not to worry; they didn't go dessertless. In addition to the several (store-bought) desserts that people contributed to the pot luck lunch, they polished off the last of my chocolate pudding cups in no time flat.

The cobbler got consumed at last night's dance group (where the hostess gave me two pounds of rhubarb fresh from her garden that I'll be employing this week). The only suggested improvement: *more* than a pound of cherries next time.

Technorati Tags: | | |

23 comments:

Laura said...

Your cobbler looks yummy! I bet the mini cobblers were tasty too

Peabody said...

I couldn't find rhubarb either...well I found it but it looked sad. Lovely cobbler you have there.

Mary Ann said...

It looks great and I wish I would've made minis! What a great idea!

Susie Homemaker said...

looks great - so pretty!

Cynthia said...

It is always such a thrill to cook for people who enjoy your labour.

Judy said...

Plums are a good choice, too. That's funny about the strawberries! I haven't square danced in years, but I love doing it. Glad you had an appreciative audience for your goodies.

Di said...

My ballroom dance group is often the beneficiary of my baking endeavors. I'm still trying to decide whether to take a TWD or a DB creation to next weekend's dance. Plum and blackberry sound delicious!

CB said...

GMTA about rhubarb cherry popping! LOL. I'll be sure to let you know about the searches. ;) Cobbler looks awesome. Great job!
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

Shandy said...

I just love friends with gardens. . .unless their garden has been oversuccessful. Then I go into hiding =D. Your cobbler looks so yummy and I love the idea of your mini cobblers. What a way to keep everyone in line.

Molly Loves Paris said...

Lovely looking dish of cobbler you have there. You're right, the recipe needs more fruit, which is essentially what you accomplished. Though I don't think I could easily afford more cherries, and the rhubarb is in the back yard.

Nickki said...

Looks great! Glad everyone enjoyed it :)

Engineer Baker said...

I'm pretty sure that the smells of this cobbler would definitely keep me on my best behavior! Beautiful cobbler!

CB said...

I wasn't a huge ran of this cobbler but that chocolate pudding... ::drool::. Great job!
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

steph- whisk/spoon said...

plums sound like a wonderful sub, and what a great color! isn't it funny how the promise of tasty treats keeps even the most unruly crowd in line? :)

Jaime said...

plums and cherries sound great!

Tammy said...

mini cobblers is a great idea! I should have done that rather than pile it all onto my smallish cobbler

Jenny said...

The benefits of excecutiveship? You tease them with the smells but leave them wanting! :-)

Anne said...

Cherries and blackberries looks wonderful- nice job!

Flourchild said...

Square dancin..how fun! Im sure it's a great workout too. What a better way to end a dance with some wonderful cobbler. You did a fine job!

Aaliyah said...

Your cobbler looks really good and that's cool that you square dance!

Glad you got your hands on some rhubarb, what will you make with it?

I look forward to your post next week!

Jacque said...

Mmmmm... plums. That sounds delish, I wouldn't have thought to try them.

Shari said...

Lucky dancers! Looks delicious.
Shari@Whisk: a food blog

Judy said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your cobbler looks delish.