July 01, 2008

TWD: This week's melodrama: Savory or Sweet?

Yes, I used the base recipe. One of the many things I've learned in my tenure with the ladies and gentlemen of Tuesdays with Dorie is that I LOVE Dorie's basic biscuit recipe. And if recent history's any indication, I'm pretty good at it. Which I would never have known *without* TWD, as biscuits and their various offspring just weren't projects I attempted in my kitchen.

But this week I didn't have dried apple on hand, so I grabbed a package of apricots. They're a yellowish fruit with a similar dried consistency. And since cheddar really doesn't pair with apricot for me, I grated a hunk of Swiss to take the role of "cheese" in this week's drama. And I tossed in a handful of fresh lavender because it called to me from its countertop vase. I considered rosemary but dismissed it. Next time I think I'll use it... it definitely would have added to the tension I've been building between savory and sweet.

So there you have it, my riff on Dorie's Apple & Cheddar Scones, chosen by Karina of The Floured Apron as this week's assignment. That's where you'll find the recipe this week, should you want to try it for yourself.

From the archives:
In 2007, the Leftover Tuesday Roundup revealed...

Technorati Tags: | |

26 comments:

Engineer Baker said...

Apricot and swiss sounds quite tasty - nice riff!

Christine said...

Oh I like the combination of apricots and swiss yum! Great job!

Katie B. said...

What great substitutions! I have apricots on hand - next time I have some extra swiss, I'll def. try your version!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, these look delicious. Nice job!

Anonymous said...

I bet they were delicious with your substitutions. Great job!

Elle said...

I like the idea of apricot and swiss, but not sure about the lavendar...maybe thyme? Your biscuits look yummy!

Jaime said...

apricot and swiss?! sounds delish.

your scones came out perfectly fluffy!

oh, and you must get a baking stone. it makes me life so much easier, not having to grease or line anything!

Linda said...

nice variation...sounds really tasty!

Peabody said...

Well now you are just doing this to drive me crazy. Is this like three weeks in a row on time? I like the apricots...and the swiss cheese sounds interesting.

Half Baked said...

Wow sounds really tasty. Nice job!

ostwestwind said...

Your scones look tasty and make me hungry

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

LyB said...

Swiss cheese sounds delicious in these and that pic of the melty, buttery scone is killing me!

BAKE-EN said...

Great flavor comination. Your pictures look very appetizing.

Sharon said...

Yum! Love the combo!

MacDuff said...

These look gorgeous - they have the perfect cheesiness that I think mine were missing out on. And yes, I think I'll take your recommendation for the gym membership!

Nickki said...

Your scones look so good! Look at all that butter, yum! :)

Steph said...

That is such an interesting combination! I might give this a try next time I have some swiss cheese. Your scones look so flaky by the way!

Amy said...

Oooo apricot and swiss!!! What an interesting combination... I might just have to try that! Graet job, your scones look great.

Anne said...

Wow, apricot sounds amazing! Yum!

Anonymous said...

mmm apricots. At my work, we make an apricot, parmesan, and rosemary biscotti.

Lynne Daley said...

Your scones look great. The apricots and swiss cheese sound like a good combo.

NKP said...

Mmm... I love swiss cheese, they sound really good.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, you just gave me a million ideas for this recipe!

Thanks!

test it comm said...

Those look and sound so good! I like the fruit and cheese combo and the butter melting on them...mmm...

Mari said...

I think that rosemary would be a lovely addition, but I love your tweaked version, as is too!

Liliana said...

What a great combination! They must have been delicious!