July 15, 2008

TWD - The Proof is in the Pudding

I burn about 400 calories in thirty minutes on an elliptical trainer.

Even with a fraction of the butter in a typical recipe, Dorie's Chocolate Pudding contains 312 calories.

Do we see the problem here?

My solution? Half the serving size. Because this stuff's not your grandmother's pudding out of a box. This is luxurious chocolate love.

Chosen by Melissa of the eponymous It's Melissa's Kitchen, Dorie's pudding recipe employs a handful of raw ingredients - staples in any baker's kitchen. And an industrial 11-cup food processor. Since mine holds a scant 8 cups maximum and I didn't want to make my pudding in batches, I let it sit on the sidelines and put the Kitchen Aid to action. It seemed to work fine; the end result was a rich, creamy lump-less pudding.

I chilled the pudding briefly before piping it into 13 dark chocolate dessert cups and refrigerating for the requisite four hours (time I spent cleaning the kitchen, hitting the elliptical machine, and standing in line at the grocery store). And served the pudding cups sprinkled with toffee bits.

Interested in ditching the little brown box and making pudding from scratch? Melissa's got the recipe posted on her blog; go check it out.

Just remember to renew your gym membership...

Technorati Tags: | | Key Ingredient:

17 comments:

Lynne Daley said...

The pudding looks great piped into the serving dishes. Yep, we are spinning our wheels trying to negate the calories. At least, it seems to be a wash.

Pamela said...

Your post was truly hilarious! Thanks for making me smile. The toffee bits were a great addition. I wish I'd thought of that! Keep on sweating...I know I'll have to.

Rigby said...

I love how you figured the calories up! I have often thought we need a spinoff for the TWD'ers; an exercise group of sorts. Glad you enjoyed the pudding!

LyB said...

"Luxurious chocolate love": perfect description of this pudding! And a big "yes!" to toffee bits. :)

Carla said...

Dorie's book should say: Warning - you will need to go to the gym haha I love how you decorated yours with toffee bits on top and in those cute cups. So much better than my picture :)

BTW, my laptop is a Gateway. I didn't have problems with it until I spilled water on it back in March and had to replace the keyboard. Honestly, I haven't cleaned it since I bought it 3 years ago, so I'm hoping that's all it needs!

Melissa said...

Hey, you burn a heck of a lot more calories in 30 minutes on the elliptical than I do!

Heather Young Gowdy said...

I am definitely with you on the gym membership. This pudding was amazing. Despite the fact that my first attempt turned out to be chocolate soup! It sure was delicious though.

ChichaJo said...

Are those actual chocolate dishes? When you say luxurious you certainly mean it! :)

Peabody said...

In a chocolate cup? Now we are talking.

Nickki said...

Loved your post! It cheered me up.:) The toffee bits look so good on the top, I could just imagine diving into that with a spoon. Time to renew my gym membership I think ;)

A_and_N said...

This post certainly inspires me to ditch the brown box :) And did you say chocolate cups??? I'm drooling!

Amy said...

Your pudding looks delicious! Great job! And yikes... I wish I hadn't seen how many calories were in a serving. Glad I quartered the recipe and only had a little to eat!

CB said...

I was debating about renewing my gym membership but since joining TWD I thought I better. HAHA. Great job on your pudding!
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

Judy said...

You're so right about the calories. Since I've been involved with TWD, my clothes have shrunk. Must be the laundry soap ;)

Seems like the amount of equipment that needed keeps increasing, too; and like you say, especially with chocolate! Delicious-looking pudding!

Jenny said...

Hehe well at least it is a tasty 300 calories!
Looks great, I love the topping, and the chocolate cups too.
PS I got the picture of the white chocolate one up the next day.

Anonymous said...

You burn 400 calories in half an hour? You must be working way harder than I am. But the pudding is totally worth it! And yours is beautiful in those little chocolate cups.

Jaime said...

i love the bowl you used for the pudding! looks rich and decadent