January 17, 2008

Always a bridesmaid...

Those of you who've been following along this month know that I haven't had a lot of luck with recipes from my chosen focus cookbook this month: Moosewood Low-Fat Favorites. A used bookstore bargain-bin find, it's been occupying space on my cookbook shelf for several years. The inside front cover's inscribed with wedding shower wishes from a group of the bride's girlfriends. I've often wondered what became of Kim and Mark, married in early 1997. Now that I've tried some of the recipes, I'm understanding why regardless of how their marriage fared, Kim was willing to sever her relationship with Moosewood. After a lackluster seafood dish and an equally bland experiment with garlic soup, it's only a recipe or two away from eviction from *my* kitchen. Double-dog dumped.

Tonight my mission is to use up some CSA cucumbers that are on their last legs. I think Moosewood's got a simple cucumber salad recipe. Sure enough, there on page 233: Cucumbers Vinaigrette. All I need is two cukes and a handful of pantry staples.

But wait, behind the cucumbers there's a quarter of a red onion and a wedge of jicama... What the heck... the more the merrier. So I slice the vegetables, whisk together the vinaigrette toss it all in tupperware and the tupperware back in the 'fridge so that the salad can macerate and absorb the vinegary goodness.

The result? Not bad. Not bad at all. But not much of a recipe either. Moosewood's still going to have to try a bit harder to maintain its spot on my bookshelf...

Cucumbers (and other crunchy vegetables) Vinaigrette
Adapted from Moosewood Low-Fat Favorites

2 medium cucumbers, peeled (since mine came from the CSA and had no wax, I didn't bother)
1/2 jicama, peeled and julienned
1/4 red onion, sliced
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground dried mustard
ground black pepper to taste.

Slice cucumbers crosswise into 1/4-inch rounds. Toss with jicama and onion.

Combine vinegar, sugar, salt and mustard in a small bowl, whisking vigorously to dissolve sugar and salt. Toss with vegetables. Refrigerate for 20-60 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Season with ground pepper to taste.

Technorati Tags: | | | Key Ingredient: |

7 comments:

Chibog in Chief said...

this is one salad i'll never get tired of..and will surely suit well with other type of dishes :-)

Anonymous said...

I like the old (full fat) Moosewood cookbook :) It's hard sometimes to find a great low fat one.

Kalyn Denny said...

I have to admit I was never dazzled by the original Moosewood cookbook either when I owned it back in college. This does sound good though.

Cakespy said...

I agree--gimme full fat! But this looks like a nice side dish...

Suzana Parreira said...

Sounds really good - and those are lovely colors to combine with so many different dishes!

KJ said...

Your salad looks good. But life's too short for limpy cookbooks. There's so much good stuff out there. I'd give it the old heave ho.

The Caked Crusader said...

I have just bought a book by the same lady I believe "Vegetable dishes I can't live without".
Having read your comments I'm not sure I'd have bought it now! Haven't tried anything from it yet - so maybe it will be lovely!