August 12, 2008

Blueberry Bliss

After nearly six months of anticipation, it's my turn to "host" this week's episode of Tuesdays with Dorie. Back in June I counted the weeks and figured out I'd be in the hot seat in mid August and I flipped through the book in search of a couple of recipes I might choose from. I liked the sound of Dorie's Corn and Herb Muffins and I knew corn would be plentiful in August (at least in the northern hemisphere). The Brown Sugar Bundt Cake sounded simple and satisfying.

But something kept drawing me back to the Blueberry Sour Cream Ice Cream. Blueberries are plentiful in our local markets in August and fairly easy to find frozen in other climates. Oh, and they're healty superfoods. And we haven't done an ice cream yet. What better time for what Dorie dubs the "summeriest of summertime ice creams"?

The timing turned out perfect. My nephew's in town this week from Texas and the young man won't eat much that's not white... but he adores blueberries and he was excited about helping me out with the recipe. The result: a creamy tangy bowl of blueberry bliss.

What... you want photographs? As soon as my camera battery's done charging...

For now, here's the recipe for those of you who want to try it. And go check out the blog roll to see what 200-some other Doristas have to say about my choice.

Blueberry Sour Cream Ice Cream
as published in Baking: From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan

1 cup blueberries - fresh or frozen (if frozen, thaw and drain)
1/3 cup sugar (or more to taste)
pinch of salt
grated zest and juice of 1/4 lemon (or lime as you prefer) or more juice to taste
3/4 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup sour cream

Put the blueberries, sugar, salt and lemon zest and juice into a medium nonreactive saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring, until mixture boils and the berries pop and soften, about 3 minutes.

Turn the berries into a blender and whir until you have a fairly homogeneous puree, about one minute. (It will never be completely smooth, and that's just fine.) Add the heavy cream and sour cream and pulse just to blend. Taste and, if you'd like, add a squirt more lemon juice or a tiny bit more sugar.

Pour the custard into a bowl and refrigerate until it is chilled before churning it into ice cream.

Scrape the chilled custard into the bowl of an ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer's instructions. Pack the ice cream into a container and freeze for at least 2 hours, until it is firm enough to scoop.

From the archives...
In 2006 we crossed the bay to check out the Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market in celebration of farmer's market week.

49 comments:

Cristine said...

Thanks for a wonderful choice! I definately enjoyed my first TWD! Can't wait to see your pics!

NKP said...

Great choice this week. I love ice cream and I love berries.

Di said...

Great choice this week, even if I did change it to raspberry. =) Can't wait to see pictures. (small note--shouldn't the sugar be 1/3 cup, not 2/3?)

Katrina said...

Thanks for picking such a delicious dish! Glad it worked out better for you than the banana loaf.

Anonymous said...

Let me assure you, you so totally made the right choice. I loved it. Looking foward to photos of your blissful ice cream.

Anonymous said...

I applaud your choice this week! This is my favorite recipe so far, so thank you for that! Can't wait to see your pictures.

Christine said...

Great choice this week!

chocolatechic said...

Thanks so much.

I loved it!!!

Bumblebutton said...

Thanks so much for the great pick! We loved it!

CB said...

Absolutely marvelous choice this week! I loved the ice cream and will definitely make again soon. Thanks for hosting!
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

Carla said...

Thank you for picking this recipe! I almost didn't make it, but I'm so glad I did. Now the ice cream bug is unleashed. I want to make Dorie's Honey Peach ice cream next. :)

Flourchild said...

Thank you for a great choice. Keep baking!

Anonymous said...

Great choice. Ice cream is my favorite favorite!

Anonymous said...

your lucky nephew! coming just in time for such a luscious ice cream. great choice, dolores.

Jenny said...

Glad he liked it.

Nancy/n.o.e said...

I think this was a perfect choice, for all the reasons you mentioned - even though I made a rewind instead! I'm so new, that I loved the chance to make one of the MANY thinks I've missed. I do hope to make the ice cream soon, however, now that my ice cream maker turned up...

Rigby said...

This was a fun recipe to try! Thanks for such a great choice :)

Maria said...

Looks like you picked a good one. I love seeing everyone's pictures and stories! The ice cream looks so good!

Pamela said...

It was delicious!! Thanks for a wonderful choice. This was definitely one I wouldn't have tried if I wasn't part of this group. I am so glad to be broadening my horizons. Now...how do I control my hips?? :o)

Engineer Baker said...

Awesome pick, and I'm waiting anxiously for pictures!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

thanks for a good pick!!

Susan @ SGCC said...

Thanks for choosing such a great recipe! I loved it!

Bumblebutton said...

Hi again--in response to your question--the Boston Tooth Fairy shells out 5 bucks! At least the one that came to my house did!

Mrs. Mighton said...

Thanks for this pick! I would have never tried it otherwise and I am SO glad I did! :-)

Summertime said...

Doristas! I love it! I totally hear you about the camera batteries, it's a constant battle here... but onto the ice cream! I really love this recipe and can't wait to try it with other fruit, too. Thanks for the awesome pick. And I agree, the timing is perfect!

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

Thanks for picking this recipe! We really enjoyed it. Will check back later for your pics!

LyB said...

Beautiful choice this week, thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see pictures of the ice cream! Glad you liked it. Thanks for choosing it- I was glad that I got the chance to make it.

hoagiefest 2020 said...

Excellent choice! It's quick and easy, and it's the first TWD I've done that will become a "go-to" when I need something to eat or just something to do.

Prudy said...

We loved it. Great choice!

Anonymous said...

Great Choice!!! I can't wait to see your pictures

Shari said...

I loved this ice cream! Thanks for picking it! Good luck with your camera battery!

Mari said...

I thank you and my DBF thanks you for choosing this recipe, it rocked his world (and I loved it too)!!! So glad that someone finally picked an ice cream recipe, well done!

Anonymous said...

Great choice. Fun story about the nephew and only eating white food...know that little bit well...LOL.

We loved the ice cream...am working on various suggestions from everyone's blogs this week. Fortunately, I have two teenage boys that are willing to eat all the results. I can have a bite and hand it over!

Sharon said...

I have to agree this was a great recipe.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for choosing it -- it made my family very happy!

Anonymous said...

I love making and eating ice cream but had never done either with blueberry ice cream. Great choice!

Nickki said...

Thank you for such a great choice! I've been wanting to make this ice cream for ages, and it was delicious! :)

Lynne Daley said...

Working on the blueberry corn custard for the next post. Great pick for this past Tuesdays with Dorie.

Mary Ann said...

Great choice, although I didn't make it again! Thanks for joining my GALS team!

Marie Rayner said...

I'm looking forward to seeing your pics! Thanks so much for picking one of the most delicious recipes so far!

Jaime said...

i'm eagerly awaiting your pics!!! thanks for a great pick, you really don't know how happy i am now, now that i know how to make ice cream w/o the attachment!!!! you have made my YEAR :)

Liliana said...

Thanks for choosing this ice cream recipe. It was the first time I made ice cream with fruit!

Looking forward to seeing you photos!

Ellen and Tom said...

This was a great choice this week! Yours looks great!

Kaitlin said...

Thanks for the wonderful recipe choice. Despite my ice cream maker woes, the custard tasted wonderful.

Shandy said...

What a fantastic choice for ice cream! I loved everything about it. Good luck with getting your camera happily clicking again =D

Anonymous said...

I have so enjoyed looking at all of the wonderful ice cream submissions! Yum!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Excellent choice with all those wonderful bluenerries out there:D

A_and_N said...

I love blueberries :) Lovely recipe!