August 05, 2008

Lost My Marbles: A TWD tragedy narrowly averted


Well it was bound to happen.

To be honest, I expected it weeks ago, with the pie crust.

But no. I wait until the quick bread, one of the (presumably) *easiest* recipes I've encountered in my tenure with TWD to fail with a Dorie recipe.

It's my fault. I took a short cut, and tried to melt the chocolate in the microwave even though I know that method almost always gives me grief. I didn't want to be bothered with the water bath. As happens about 50% of the time, my chocolate started to seize. I *thought* I'd salvaged it.

But when I tried to free my banana bread from the pan it was pretty clear I hadn't. The chocolate sections separated from the pure banana sections so perfectly you'd have thought I *planned* it that way.

Sigh, not a pretty picture, but it made tasty parfaits with a healthy scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Other people fared far better than I did with Dorie's Black and White Banana Bread, this week's pick from Ashlee over at A Year in the Kitchen. Go check them out!

From the archives...
In 2006 I kicked off National Farmers' Market Week announcing a week long field trip to the bay area's best markets.
In 2007 we found comfort in Sicily with Jamie Oliver's Italy.

5 comments:

Jenny said...

Hehe still looks edible so can't be too bad!

marae said...

It looks good to me!! I always melt my chocolate in te microwave...but I tend to put heavy cream in and ganache it to keep it from burning, regardless of what I am doing with it.

Anonymous said...

**IT happens. Chocolate is soooo temperamental!!! Hang in!!!

Jaime said...

i cheated too w/the microwave method, but luckily my recipe turned out ok. at least it was salvageable - sounds great w/ice cream :)

Stephanie said...

You know, despite the fact that it's "ugly," that is one of the most delicious looking sweet breads I've ever seen. I would love a bowl of that with ice cream!