July 26, 2006

Move over Vanilla Ice, Meyer Lemon Gelato is in da house...


Okay, so I missed most of the late 80's/early 90's rap scene. My circle of friends was busy swooning over Simon LeBon; we missed out on MC Hammer and Mr. "Ice." But at the risk of sounding like my late mother, I don't get it. The lyrics make no sense.

Go ahead, I dare you.

Google "Ice, Ice Baby Lyrics." Read through them. Sober. If you get it, enlighten me.

Meanwhile, I'll take a stab at making ice cream. Not just any ice cream. Meyer Lemon Gelato, with lemons from my tree.

The Ingredients:
6 whole meyer lemons
1 1/3 cups sugar
6 egg yolks
1 1/3 cups heavy whipping cream
dash salt
2 2/3 cups half-and half
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

The Process:



Zest the lemons. Add the zest to the sugar.

Whisk the egg yolks with the cream and salt in a heat proof bowl.

Combine the half-and-half and the lemon-sugar in a medium, non-reactive (non-aluminum) saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar.

Remove from heat. Slowly and carefully whisk the hot half and half into the egg yolk mixture. Return the partially cooked custard to the saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture reaches the approximate consistency of heavy whipping cream and coats the back of a spoon.

Pour custard into a bowl without straining. Stir in vanilla. Cover surface with plastic wrap to prevent skin from forming and cool. (We stashed it in the fridge while we went off in search of dinner).

Squeeze lemons to create 3/4 cup lemon juice. Stir juice into cooled/chilled custard. Transfer mixture to ice cream maker. Freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.

The Results:

will have to wait, for now. The final product's in the freezer -- but the remnants on the spatula and in the dasher bowl look and taste promising. Stay tuned...

Technorati Tags:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

love the lemons

love the gelato

love the new design ;)

Anonymous said...

Looks heavenly.

Someone said...

6 Meyer lemons? The lemons I just got off one of my plants is about the size of a tennis ball (and I have 3 of them).

One of my smaller plants has lemons the size of ping pong balls (and they are almost ripe).

So 6 lemons means how much zest?