March 28, 2008

Kitchn Cure 2008

I blame the bulging seems of my pantry on my parents. Children of the great depression, they stocked the refrigerator, freezer and cupboards so full that we could have gone a month or two without a trip to the grocery store for anything more than perishables. We didn't have a couple of cans of fruits, vegetables and soups. We had a couple of cases. They shopped sales, and stocked up. And they taught me to manage my kitchen the same way.

It flies in the face of my new lean six sigma "5 S" self, but I haven't figured out how to employ what I learned in the classroom in my kitchen. Until I discovered Kitchn Cure.

I learned about Apartment Therapy's Kitchn Cure 2008 from Becke over at Columbus Foodie and decided I want to join in. I'm a bit late jumping on the bandwagon, but for those of you who don't remember last fall's battle bug, I think I've got a bit of a head start.

Week one was about taking an honest assessment and beginning the declutter process by tossing expired or spoiled food. Been there, done that, and washed the t-shirt very carefully with strong anti-fungal detergent.

I've also got a bit of a head start on week two; the twinkie book convinced me that high fructose corn syrup and other highly processed, minimally nutritious additives are a part of my past. There will *always* be a package or two of ramen noodles in my pantry, but I'm going to spend the next week purging my kitchen of a lot of the processed stuff, donating what I can't use and NOT replace to the local food bank. Everybody wins.

I'm also going to go through the tool cupboards and drawers. Anything I haven't used in a year is going to get donated.

I'll let you know how it goes...

From the archives...
In 2006, I became part of the cool kids club when I got tagged for a meme.

Technorati Tags:

1 comments:

Columbus Foodie said...

We're both getting a late start, I think. I'm going to do both week's assignments at once when I go through the pantries this week - getting rid of the expired and the processed crap all at once. But I'm totally with you on the ramen - they'll pry my pork ramen out of my cold dead hands. A girl has to have a few guilty pleasures, right?