April 01, 2008

Got Milk?

Dorie suggests that you serve her Gooey Chocolate Cakes with something to play off of their chocolatey interior. Ice cream. Creme Anglaise. Bittersweet Chocolate Sauce. I submit that a tall, ice-cold glass of milk makes a perfect pairing, and I'm betting Sean Whalen would back me up. I also think it would play nicely with your favorite port.

Leigh of Lemon Tartlet and the Dust Bunnies offered up Dorie's Gooey Chocolate goodness as this week's Tuesdays with Dorie project, and I couldn't wait to give it a shot. Dorie recommends using a 6 cup muffin tin for these, and I briefly considered pulling out the rose shaped bundt pan. But in the end I went traditional: six small ramekins lined my baking sheet.

For the chocolate I selected the last of a dense, dreamy collection of Belgian chocolates we received from John's sister and her family for Christmas. And because there *is* no kill like overkill, I dropped three espresso caramel bonbons into each of the ramekins to give my tasters a bit of a surprise.

For as elegant as these individual desserts present, they're fairly simple to prepare and I'm sure I'll add them to the dessert after a dinner party rotation. Dorie's advice is to served them immediately, warm and gooey from the oven, but I found that 10-15 seconds in the microwave returned them to a delightful molten status. And my day-two tasters had no complaints about the 'leftovers'. Check out the blog roll to see what other bakers thought.

And stay tuned Dorie Fans, next week we tackle the French Lemon Cream Tart.

From the archives...
In 2006 we indulged in an obsession.

Technorati Tags: | | | | Key Ingredient:

28 comments:

noskos said...

Wow those look so gooey! Great job!!

Peabody said...

Now that is a lot of gooey goodness.

Engineer Baker said...

Gooey goodness indeed Peabody. And I agree that you definitely need the milk alongside - it helps cut the intensity of the chocolate. Yours look amazing!

Mari said...

Your cakes look gooey and fabulous!

Mary Ann said...

the caramel sounds divine!

LyB said...

Those espresso caramels in the middle sound like pure genius!

Jen said...

Ok this looks like it would be the best dessert ever full stop. I have always wanted to try do make a molten/gooey centered chocolate cake at home and these look like the ones to try.

Anonymous said...

Espresso caramel bonbons?! Egads. I just swooned.

Annemarie said...

Mmmmmmm! They look wonderful!

Marie Rayner said...

OOOOhhhh mmmmmm....milk sounds like the perfect go with!!! Your cakes look fabulously gooey. Mine were more fudgy. They did go quite well with a drizzle of muscovado toffe sauce and some clotted cream though!

Anonymous said...

That's an amazing amount of gooey-ness! Gotta Love It!
Bon-bons...why didn't I think of that?

Mary said...

yum chocolate. yum goo. yum milk. you got all the great parts going and it looks fantastic!

CB said...

My hubs definitely agreed with the milk. He washed his 1 (or 2,3) gooey cakes with a nice cold glass! Great job! :)
Clara @ I♥food4thought

Anonymous said...

Your cakes look fabulous! Great work!

Anonymous said...

Look at that goo! Nice work!

Gretchen Noelle said...

Great job. Leftovers? There were none here!

Anonymous said...

Wow, it looks like you had just the right amount of gooeyness. Milk sounds like a great accompaniment.

Tammy said...

Loving your gooeyness!!! Your cakes look so delicious!!

Natalie said...

Gooey goodness, zactly! Great pictures!

mimi said...

your cakes look great, they came out so nicely gooey!

Big Boys Oven said...

this is exciting!

Cecilia said...

Oh wow. An espresso caramel bonbon? That is such a nice little touch; it definitely shined through in your picture. Beautiful cakes!

Anonymous said...

You achieved the perfect level of gooey-ness! They look amazing!

Anonymous said...

Yours look fabulous. I love the idea of the caramels in the middle. I was trying to think of a way to introduce something else into the middle.

Anonymous said...

I have this theory that chocolate slows down the aging process.... It may not be true, but do I dare take the chance?


Nice Post Anyway

"I love chocolate. Have you ever seen a chocolate
fountain? It is
wonderful! Check this out.."

http://www.sarahs-sweet-fountains.co.uk

eatme_delicious said...

Mmm they look so gooey.

Gumbeaux Gal said...

OMG! Those look so gooey and deliciously yummy. The espresso caramel is sheer genius!

Jaime said...

looks super gooey! great job!