June 03, 2008

TWD - Fussy French Brownies

'k people, what I like *best* about brownies is their no-fuss nature. Even from scratch, they typically use one bowl, one spatula, one spoon. Twenty minutes in the oven, and out emerge 16 squares of tasty chocolate goodness...

Not so these fancy French "brownies." Look at the mess they made in my sink! Leave it to the French to add complication where none is necessary...

'k, they're not *really* brownies. According to Dorie's introduction to the recipe, they're a fudgy, fruit filled chocolate cake, a recipe she created for guests while she was in France, and those guests fell in love with her "brownies."

Well the dirty sink be damned, so did I.

I omitted the raisins, opting to flambe cherries for a black forest inspired brownie instead. John wasn't crazy about them... he's a purist when it comes to chocolate: Chocolate. Dark. Lots of it. With nothing to distract from it.

But my coworkers loved them... the entire tray was empty in under seven minutes.

Thanks to Di of Di's Kitchen Notebook for choosing this week's recipe. And check out the blog roll to see what the other Doristas thought.

Technorati Tags: | | | Key Ingredient:

28 comments:

Cynthia said...

Leave it to the French to add complication where none is necessary... - lol

Anonymous said...

Haha...oh my sink looked the same way. Cursed dishes.

Anonymous said...

I wonder who does Dorie's dishes ...

PheMom said...

Nice going - hopefully your co=workers appreciate you!

Jacque said...

Thank goodness for co-workers, lol. Great looking brownies and I enjoyed your write-up.

Di said...

Sorry about all the dishes! =) I hope you enjoyed them anyway.

Peabody said...

You posted on time! Go Dolores. :)
Yes, I agree, these were fussy...but tasty.

Mari said...

I'm with your colleagues on this one, there were good!

noskos said...

Job well done, they look great!

Gretchen Noelle said...

I definitely agree that the mess is unwarranted. I did the same recipe (sans raisins) in one saucepan. They turned out great.

Anonymous said...

lol, My sink looked the same way!

They look delicous! Great job!

Jenny said...

Yup, they were a messy brownie, weren't they? Or whatever they were.
Cherries sound good.

Anonymous said...

7 minutes? Wow! They must have tasted as good as they look! :)

Bumblebutton said...

Cherries--me too! And while your sink is full, I love your granite!

ostwestwind said...

Lucky co-workers, I have just a second batch in the oven for my co-workers.

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

Anonymous said...

Doristas...I like that! Your brownies look fabulous!

Unknown said...

I sort of groaned when I got the part of the recipe that said "using a stand mixer with whisk attachment" - give me one-pot brownies any day! At least the brownies were good to make up for the added steps.

Shari@Whisk: a food blog said...

Lucky co-workers!
Shari@Whisk: a food blog

Andrea said...

God bless my dishwasher. I know the KA whisk is supposed to be handwash... It just isn't going to happen my friends.
Great looking brownies.

Shandy said...

YUM! Beautiful brownies and do they ever look chocolately! =D

Sharon said...

Ha ha....yeah it was particularly meesy wasn't it.

Susie Homemaker said...

so funny - pics of your dirty sink! I try to wash as I go so i don't get so angry at the end! (they were worth it though, but like you, not exactly brownies, I think. I'm still on the hunt for the perfect recipe!)

Anonymous said...

Nice brownies!
Dorie's recipes usually go through so many dishes and OMG, the butter!
I read through her recipes and then decide how I'm gonna do it. In most cases, I use half the dishes because I take short cuts. I don't have a Speedo wearing dishwasher like she does! I'm sure she has a personal trainer too!

Liliana said...

Your brownies look sooo good! My sink looked worse than your somehow. The family was there to eat all the brownies, but not at 'cleanup' time!

Anne said...

Haha, they were messy but they were delicious! My husband says the dishes are the worst part about TWD- but it's worth it! (and lets be honest... I do them anyways!)

LyB said...

Fussy French Brownies would have been a good name for these alright! But they were delicious and yours definitely make me want to dirty some dishes. :)

Lynne Daley said...

Looks great! My kitchen was a mess, also.

Colette said...

Oh, but they look SO worth it!!