June 24, 2008

A TWD Two-fer: Cream Puffs & Cobbler

In the spirit of driving Peabody *nuts* I'm a week late for last week's assignment but on time for today's. How'd I manage that? I spent the hottest Sunday of the summer season in the kitchen with the oven on. What can I say Peabody...? I live to serve!

First last week's Peppermint Cream Puff Ring selected for our enjoyment by Caroline of A Consuming Passion. Like many other Doristas, I elected to make individual cream puffs rather than a ring because they're easier to transport and serve that way. And rather than mint, I infused my whipped cream filling with a vanilla bean and a bit of chai-spiced tea. We went out to dinner with friends on Sunday, and it was easy to pass up the dessert menu when we knew these waited for us at home.

Next on the baking to-do list: a delightful biscuit topped Mixed Berry Cobbler offered by Beth of Our Sweet Life. Frozen fruit, tossed with sugar, lemon and cornstarch, topped with a flakey slightly sweetened biscuit crust. I added a half bag of frozen mangoes to my berry medley because it was time to use them in something. Baked them up in individual ramekins, and I've discovered they make an indulgent but not unhealthy breakfast topped with a generous dollop of yogurt.

These two selections prove my longstanding theory that some of the very best things in life and in food are comprised of a handful of simple ingredients thoughtfully combined.

Oh... and Peabody? Hang tight love... I'm eyeballing the Apple Cheddar Scone recipe now... who knows... I might *really* surprise you and come in *early*!

Technorati Tags: | |

30 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Oh Yumm!!! Two for the price of one! MY kind of deal! It looks like they both turned out wonderfully for you! I love the idea of using mango in the cobbler! Lovely!

Peabody said...

LOL- even if you finish early...you can't post till Tuesday...so I wont believe you anyway. ;P
Both your tardy and on time TWD treats look great.

ostwestwind said...

Great looking cobbler, I adore mango, I wish I could get flavourful mangos here.

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

Jenny said...

Haha that's good!
Everything looks good - and I don't think I'd have thought of the cobbler for breakfast but I think you are right, it would make a good one.

Anonymous said...

Your desserts (and breakfast) sound delicious. I love your add in ideas.

kimberly salem said...

the vanilla/chai cream and the added mangoes in the cobbler sound like great changes! nice work! :)

Lauren said...

your cobbler looks juicy and delicious. Mango was a great choice! Nice looking cream puffs, too!

Mari said...

Both your cream puffs and cobbler look perfect! Well done for catching up!

Anonymous said...

Look at that pate a choux!!! It's gorgeous!
The cobbler looks great as well!

Judy said...

Having them for breakfast is a terrific idea! I will remember that, especially since they are quick to make. Everything looks delicious.

Susie Homemaker said...

2fer! I feel your pain - all that cooking?! wow. looks so good...i bet it was.

CurlyCue said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog!! Your cobbler looks fantastic!!

Engineer Baker said...

Such a perfect breakfast food. Glad you managed to get the puffs in too!

Marye said...

oh you did a great job! Yummy!Cobbler for breakfast is brilliant.

NKP said...

Very yummy looking, I used some mango as well. It makes a nice complement to the berries. Good for you to do two challenges in one day!

Anne said...

Wow that cobbler is beautiful! It looks so tasty with the juice running over. Great job!

marae said...

yummmmm send some of those goodies my way....please!!! looks fabulous. better late than never on the puff.

Shandy said...

WoW! and on the hottest day of the summer to boot! You sure know how to support your friends =D. I absolutely love the chai addition to the cream puffs. Right now, vanilla chai tea is my all time favorite. You also got my second week spot, yogurt for a topping at breakfast time. Okay, lunch too. I just never thought about putting a dollop on top of a cobbler before. I can't wait to try it. Both of your Dorie Desserts look delicious =D

Linda said...

Nice job toughing it out with two baked items on a hot day!!! The results look delish!

Di said...

Ooh, I really like the idea of making chai-flavored whipped cream. I'm going to have to try that.

Lisa T. said...

Wow - I can't believe you had your oven turned on on such a hot day - what dedication. They look amazing.

Unknown said...

nice close up, especially of the berry juice dripping

noskos said...

Looks great! Well done!

Anonymous said...

Those cream puffs look divine!

April said...

Two for 1, I love a great deal!! They both look wonderful!

Anonymous said...

We'd like to invite you to participate in our July berry recipe contest. All competitors will be placed on our blogroll, and the winner will receive a fun prize! Please email me, sophiekiblogger@gmail.com, if you're interested. Feel free to check out our blog for more details. (Click on my name in the message header link to visit our blog. :)

Cecilia said...

Wow. You are quite an overachiever! Great job with the double baking session. The chai-spiced cream sounds very interesting, as did the mango-berry combination.

Shari said...

Mangos are one of my favorite fruits. I'll have to try it in a cobbler next time. I like your thinking that the simple recipes are sometimes the best.
Shari@Whisk: a food blog

Pamela said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog! I had to laugh about the "Dorie Dozen". Ain't that the truth?? :)
Everything looks delicious!

LyB said...

Wow, both desserts look fabulous! Well done!