July 08, 2008

And now, the rest of the story...

For some Americans, the Fourth of July is about fireworks. For others it's an excuse to pop open a beer or twelve. And it probably comes as no surprise to the two of you reading this that for us the Fourth of July is about food. (Well food and a couple of days away from the office). Summer food. Red meat (or white meat or fish), cooked over fire. A buffet lined with an overwhelming assortment of salads, sides and desserts.

This year, John and I joined dance friends on a trip to Mendocino county's Fort Bragg for the holiday weekend. We spent Friday evening at a pot luck barbecue where the hosts provided the charred protein and the guests supplied the aforementioned buffet assortment.

What would I make that would withstand a three hour car trip with the air conditioning set to eleven? Tuesdays with Dorie to the rescue: Amy from South in your Mouth selected a great contribution to anyone's barbecue dessert buffet: Double-Crusted Blueberry Pie.

There's only one small problem...

My name is Dolores, and I'm afraid of pie crust. One of my deepest, darkest culinary secrets: I don't bake it, I *buy* it. T'heck with diamonds... Pillsbury is this girl's best friend.

I blame my phobia on my mother. She made the most amazing pie crusts I've ever encountered. She didn't use a recipe... she made it by feel. And I never took the time to learn her technique. Because what the heck, there's always *next* Thanksgiving, right? Yeah, well... All I know is that she used a combination of lard and butter.

Since picking up a Pillsbury wasn't an option for a TWD assignment, I took a deep breath, read the recipe four or five times, shoved a cube of chopped butter and a quarter cup of shortening in the freezer and poured myself a nice glass of wine. And then I pulled the moulinex out of hibernation and dove right in.

The result? It's certainly not pastry perfection, but I think this is a recipe I can work with. I wasn't embarrassed by the end result, and if the picture I posted at the beginning of the day is any indication, it certainly didn't suck.

Thanks Dorie. Thanks Amy. I think my clandestine relationship with Pillsbury's over!

And now you know...

the rest of the story!

Technorati Tags: | | | Key Ingredient:

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

ooooooh delicious looking and i bet it tasted amazing. hungry now

ps - adding you to the blogroll

gina

Bungalow Barbara said...

Love the stars! I'm so glad you got your courage up to try making pie crust. Good work!

Mari said...

Congratulations on overcoming your fear of pie crust! You've done your mother proud!

Unknown said...

I have also broken my secret Pillsbury habit with this recipe! Nice job on a very pretty pie.

Jacque said...

Hey look! there's FIVE of us reading this, lol. Not two, silly.

Great job, I wish I'd have thought to use a star cutter... it's perfect!

Jenny said...

Great job! And now that you know that you can make a good crust, I bet you'll do it again and again!

Peabody said...

And see I had a phobia forever because my mom never made pie dough from scratch.

Half Baked said...

Ha ha I know what you mean, I've had a secret fear of pie crusts as well! Nice job!!

A_and_N said...

No wonder it got over in no time ;) It looks so inviting! How did you do the stars (first pictures)????

For me, 4thh of July is an excuse to eat, sit on the couch and watch baseball :)