July 29, 2008

Maybe Mo was right...

"Strawberries..." he used to sigh, "what a waste of perfectly good rhubarb."

I'd scrunch up my face in disgust and assert that my father was out of his mind... rhubarb was nothing more than candy colored celery, and bitter celery at that.

He'd roll his eyes and maintain that was just my "immature taste buds" talking, that when I grew up I'd change my mind.

Well I've managed to avoid rhubarb for most of my adult life, focusing instead on the spring and summer fruits I *know* I love. But when I told my tasters from last week's assignment that it was supposed to include rhubarb but I couldn't find any, our hostess went out to her garden and picked me several stalks. So this week's Summer Fruit Galette (chosen for this Tuesday with Dorie by Michelle in Colorado Springs) became a rhubarb galette.

And I learned that somewhere between 15 and 40, "my taste buds have matured." Because combined with Dorie's no-fail pie crust and a sweet succulent custard, this rhubarb R-O-C-K-E-D.

Somewhere, my father is lounging on a cloud, a martini in one hand and a cigarette in the other, and he's laughing that knowing "I told you so" laugh...

Technorati Tags: | | |

17 comments:

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Yay! Glad to see you finally came to your senses and jumped on the rhubarb bandwagon. ;) You'll love it!

Jenny said...

Ah so someone beat me to unloading their rhubarb on you! I still have lots if you need more. :-)

Anonymous said...

I've always had an aversion to rhubarb, but your post is making me want to try it again and see if I've matured! Looks delicious!

Gina (Caleeo) said...

I have always been in the "why eat rhubarb when there are so many other wonderful things I know I like?" camp. I am happy here - and staying here for now. Sure looks pretty though.

Cynthia said...

I like the picture of your dad lounging on a cloud... :)

Jodie said...

I have the rhubarb brain block, too. I should try it some time!

Peabody said...

It's amazing how our taste buds really do grow up as we do!

Pamela said...

That looks delicious! I'm still on the fence about rhubarb, though. I don't hate it, but I don't crave it either.

Carla said...

I've never had rhubarb, even when it's so popular in Ireland (I was there for a semester for college). I should add it to my list of things to try.

Judy said...

Glad you liked (loved) how your rhubarb gallete turned out. It looks really yummy.

Bungalow Barbara said...

Glad you liked it! I didn't like rhubarb as a kid either. It's been 25 years or more since I've tried it. I'll have to check it out -- maybe my taste buds have matured too!

My dad is probably on the next cloud over with a bourbon on ice and a cigarette!

LyB said...

I wouldn't have thought to make this with all rhubarb, but I like the sound of it. It looks delicious!

Karleen said...

Thanks for the welcome message! Can't wait to see how your banana bread turned out as well :-)

Andrea at Nummy Kitchen said...

Great post! Your rhubarb galette looks great, I hadn't even thought to use just rhubarb but now I realize it would have made an amazing galette. I'm sure your dad is happy you finally enjoy rhubarb :)

Summertime said...

Your galette is beautiful! I really want to try a rhubarb one now.

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Such a cute story! They are always right, you know...

Nancy
The Dogs Eat the Crumbs

Jacque said...

I totally agree with your dad's comment... I hate seeing strawberry always paired up with rhubarb. It dilutes the rhubarb!

Anyway, your galette sounds wonderful!