November 05, 2007

Berry Fruity Breakfast

In my second installment of Magazine Monday I find myself looking for a quick healthy breakfast on the go. Because as much as I'd like to delude myself to the contrary when Starbucks beckons, the skim milk in a grande nonfat vanilla latte does not make it healthy.

I've got a bowl full of pears, pomegranates and persimmons from my CSA delivery waiting patiently for deployment, so it makes sense to turn to something centered on fruit.

Cooking Light comes to my rescue with a simple parfait of fruit, yogurt and granola, which I tweak just a bit to fit the contents of my kitchen. It's not much of a recipe; it's assembly, not cooking. But it's quick, it's tasty, and it carried me through a meeting-filled morning.

Persimmon Raspberry Yogurt Parfait
adapted from Cooking Light, November 1994
Serves 1

1 small fuyu persimmon
1/2 teaspoon honey
1/2 cup nonfat vanilla yogurt
8-10 fresh raspberries
1/4 cup bran cereal

Cut persimmon into 4 wedges; peel wedges, using fingers or a small paring knife. Cut each wedge into 4 wedges; set aside.

Combine honey and yogurt in a small bowl, stirring until well-blended. Spoon half of the yogurt mixture into an 8 ounce glass; top with half of the persimmon wedges, 4-5 raspberries, and 2 tablespoons cereal. Repeat the layers, ending with granola. Serve immediately.

Resources used:
Persimmons from Farm Fresh to You CSA
Strauss Organic Nonfat Vanilla Yogurt
Marshall's Farm California Wildflower Honey

Technorati Tags: | | Key Ingredient: | Key Ingredient: | Key Ingredient:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is my kind of breakfast. Yum! Thanks for stopping by my blog.
Best,
Paz

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a very healthy breakfast indeed. :)

breadchick said...

I have fruit and yogurt and granola every morning for breakfast and this version looks super yummy. I love Cooking Light!!

creampuff said...

This looks just delicious!