November 13, 2007

T-Minus Four: Prepping for the Future; Surrounded by the Past


First on this evening's agenda: meatballs. Followed by coconut and chai-scented bostini chiffon cakes. And pumpkin puree to be incorporated into cheesecake later this week.

The emotions evoked by my recent Apples & Thyme reflections are still with me...

I can sense Henri's approval with my onion dice... I'd have had no problem out pacing her at that quickfire challenge.

I can feel Mo hovering to ensure that my meatballs were uniform.

And Maria is almost certainly with me as I whip up the egg whites for the chiffon.

Come Saturday, I'll have an extra dry martini, a screwdriver and a glass of sherry set aside in the bar area to acknowledge their presence and in gratitude for their guidance. Several of our guests may think I'm a little off. But if Grandma Sylvia should make it (at 97 she's slowed down a bit), she will smile and nod in understanding.

Last year at this time, the kitchen looked about like it does today

Technorati Tags:

1 comments:

Julie said...

Between participating in the Apples & Thyme event, reading through everyone else's posts, and seeing a movie called "How to Cook Your Life" that documents a Zen Chef's relating food to spirituality, I've been well-awash with food emotions, too! I can't wait to see how your Open House turns out! Wonderful, I'm betting. =) Happy cooking!