November 12, 2007

I'm creating a monster

My manager's birthday is Saturday. The group I work with has decided to throw him an impromptu party on Friday at lunch. For 20-some of his closest coworkers.

For those of you who haven't been paying attention, John are hosting what's become the event of our year on Saturday. We're knee-deep in meatballs and ravioli filling, with a bit of Bostini on the side. Plus I rather stupidly agreed to contribute a Peabody to this Thursday's corporate Thanksgiving potluck. A birthday cake on top of all that is a little more than my ovens can manage this week...

So one of my teammates offered to pitch in and do the cake. Could I point her to a recipe she could use?

Well... um... sure.

I offered this one. And since her baking experience is mostly of the purchased Vienna Bakery variety, I suggested that if she used a cake mix, people probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference. (Sorry Shawnda... but the key here is that she succeeds.)

Her response?

I made a cake from scratch once, it came out okay, so I think I'll give it another shot.

Lis? Ivonne? I get how you must feel with each new crop of Daring Bakers.

I'm so proud!

A year ago I asked the internets to assess my cooking skill and got this result.

Technorati Tags:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sound so busy making all this delicious food. Don't forget to take a break :)

Peabody said...

Busy, busy woman. I always laugh when you are making a Peabody. :)

Proud Italian Cook said...

Love your site! came by for a visit, I'll be back!

Cynthia said...

My hats off to you and all that you are doing right now. Whew!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear about the party, and the cake :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm all about shortcuts when it makes life easier! There's a from-a-box french vanilla cake in my oven right now :)