December 01, 2007

Banishing Orowheat - Potato Bread Revisited

Last week's teaser probably gave it away, but I have a confession to make...

It's no secret I enjoy good bread. But for the most part, I try to choose healthy whole grain options that have some nutritional value and don't turn to instant sugar in my bloodstream.

Except...

I LOVE their Country Potato Bread. With its thirty-some multi-syllabic ingredients. And not much to recommend it nutritionally. So when Tanna of My Kitchen in Half Cups selected Tender Potato Bread -- a recipe with seven total ingredients, one of them *whole wheat flour* -- as November's challenge I was one happy camper indeed.

I wasted no time heading to the grocery store for a couple of pounds of potatoes, and soon I was elbow-deep in the sticky goodness that signals the start of this recipe. My satisfaction grew as the dough came together with the addition of more flour. Yes it was soft and sticky, but I could tell it was going to be something when it grew up.

In my excitement, I made dinner rolls. I made a loaf swirled with pesto and pine nuts. A loaf studded with olives, onions and rosemary. And photographed none of them -- they disappeared too quickly. In four weeks, I made this recipe four times. And I have plans to make it again next weekend with dates and cardamom, now that the savory restriction has been lifted.

Thank you Tanna. This is a recipe I'm going to continue to grow with, pushing a little farther with each iteration, as you suggested when you issued the challenge.

Curious how over 300 other bakers around the world experienced the November challenge? Check out the blog roll. Want to try it yourself? Head over to Tanna's kitchen for the recipe.

A year ago today, you would have found me wandering through the cooking section of my local library.

Technorati Tags: Key Ingredient:

10 comments:

Deborah said...

I am a potato bread fanatic as well. Your bread looks wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I loved that potato bread too! It will be appearing again and again here :)

Cheryl said...

I guess we had the same idea. I am getting ready to post my 2nd visit to the potato bread recipe. Your creations look wonderful.

Carla said...

Your bread looks wonderful! I also go for the whole grain breads to make up for my love of eating them but this potato bread was stellar and it will make another appearance in my kitchen soon.

Elle said...

Saw teh teasers, and now the post. Your bread looks great! Four times in a month...that is good bread isn't it?

eatme_delicious said...

Wow you made it 4 times! I could barely do it the first time haha. The pesto swirl sounds very tasty. I think I'll try making bread again but something a lot easier.

Andrea said...

Good for you for playing around with the bread! I made it three times in November, so I almost caught up with you. :-)

Nora B. said...

I love this bread too. dates and cardamom! That's a great idea, I should move on to making sweet versions of this bread too.

Thistlemoon said...

YOur bread looks great! I love how this group has reall expanded its borders!

Bev and Ollie "O" said...

gooodness me! that looks delicous!

yumyum x