December 07, 2007

What is it?


On a recent road trip to the coast, we found ourselves wandering through antique shops with time to kill before our late lunch/early dinner reservation. I was fascinated by this well worn household tool I found among the relics.

Who is willing to guess what purpose it served in the 19th century kitchen?

A small prize for the first person who gets it right...

Last year today, I reflected on learning to let go of a recipe and to cook by instinct in Maria's kitchen.

10 comments:

Kitty said...

I would not have guessed mellon scoop, but since there is one of those in the background, I have to say it must be a mellon scoop.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Hmm...interesting. It is either a cookie cutter or maybe an egg poacher..wink...wink..

Shayne said...

Maybe a meat hammer or a creme brulee caramelizer.

Anonymous said...

Is it a candle snuffer?

Cheryl said...

I was going to say candle snuffer. Too late.

Anonymous said...

Something to do with garlic (LOL! You can so tell that I'm making this up, right?)

Paz

Cynthia said...

Awwww, two people have aready said it :) candle snuffer.

Laura said...

Very interesting! BTW, i haven't forgotten that I owe you for PIF. I won't get anything to you before XMas, but will send something in january/February. Just send me an email with your info to: ltbaggywrinkle(at)yahoo(dot)com.

Barbara said...

I'm going to guess an ice cream scoop.

Peabody said...

Sugar Mold.