December 08, 2007

Reflections...

I got this from Liz over at Bits & Bites. She got it from Julius. I enjoyed reading their answers, and getting to know them better in the process. I know I've got some new readers here (thanks to NaBloPoMo and Holidailies), some of whom are probably wondering who I am. This won't tell you that, but it'll give you some insight into where I come from in terms of food.

What were you cooking/baking ten years ago?

Ten years ago I was just beginning to discover that pretty much anything you can order out, you can make at home. Often better and cheaper. But not always without significant effort. I was probably most obsessed with fresh seafood and Asian flavors. Some things haven't changed much.

Ten years ago I'd never kneaded bread by hand. Made caramel. Or mousse. Other things have changed quite a bit.

What were you cooking/baking one year ago?

Lots of fun and interesting things. My foray into the food blogging world has exposed me to many new recipes from all over the world. The Daring Baker experience has expanded my boundaries with flour, sugar, eggs and butter. And I've learned a bit about the politics of food -- how the choices I make affect not only my cardiac health, but my spiritual well-being as well. It feels GOOD to know the farmer that grows my greens, the fisherman, the rancher, the baker, the sausage maker who bring their bounty to my table.

The snack you enjoy the most:

Sungold and sweet 100 tomatoes in the summer. Grapes when the leaves begin to fall. More Halloween, Valentines and Easter candy than I should. Christmas cookies. And popcorn and edamame, all year long.

A culinary luxury you would indulge in if you were a millionaire:

A world tour, using Anthony Bourdain's books as a guide.

A couple of million and I'd quit my day job and go volunteer to intern with Thomas Keller. Or Michael Symon. Or Kelly Degala. Or all of them. Learn from them. Soak their lessons up like a sponge. Then open my own restaurant.

What do you bake the most?

Bread, and cookies.

Five recipes you know by heart:

Coffee. Spinaci con Pignoli e Passerine. Grandma Cramer's Egg Salad. Guacamole. Aunt Bev's Cole Slaw.

One thing you cannot/will not eat:

I'm still learning to appreciate offal. Some of the stuff on the fringe is still substantially outside of my comfort zone.

I've been told I have ueber-sensitive taste buds. That if something is full-flavored to you, it's over the top for me. as a consequence, I struggle with even mild liver, and anything remotely gamey.

Favorite culinary toy:

No contest. This.

A must on your “last meal” menu:

Sushi. Lots and lots of sushi.

Happy food memories:

Way too many to count. Thank you for indulging me, and allowing me to share them.

A year ago today, I shared my Christmas wish list.

Technorati Tags:

2 comments:

Peabody said...

Yeah, the Kitchen Aid mixer is hard to live without.

LizG said...

Nice. Thanks for participating.

I love Anthony Bourdain as well. He's got on the Travel Channel I wish I could watch, but we don't seem to have it here in Canada...