December 04, 2007

When life hands you mandarin oranges...

...make booze out of the peels! Oh, and the juice makes some sensational citrus curd too.

This weekend found us peeling and de-pithing 35 mandarin oranges. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to remove the pith from a mandarin orange peel? How thin the result is? I do now. John experimented with various tools and techniques until he could denude the fruit in under thirty seconds.

In a week dedicated to creating Christmas gifts in the kitchen, we took inspiration for our orange liqueur from Giada's recipe for Limoncello, substituting orange for lemon peel. And for the curd, we turned to a variation of this recipe, published in Alton Brown's I'm Just Here for More Food.

And I have pictures of the process, which I'll post when my camera's battery cooperates...

A year ago today, I burnt a bunch of sugar.

Technorati Tags: Key Ingredient:

11 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

This is just so good!!!

Andrea said...

The booze sounds really good right now! I'm getting ready to try making my own candied orange peels this weekend. We'll see how I do after peeling a zillion oranges!

Anonymous said...

Dolores, I always wanted to try this recipe. Please let us know the results! I also want to wish you and yours a very Happy and Healthy Holiday season :)

Babeth said...

35 mandarin oranges! whouhahou how corageous!
BTW thanks so much for your king message about my potato bread :-)
Cherio

Nora B. said...

Hi Dolores,

Peeling the rind off mandarins is almost impossible (I've tried & given up, yes it's hard)! I am so curious to see how you and John managed to do it. It's a terrific idea to replace orange peel in the limoncello recipe, thanks for the link to Giada's recipe.

I've made limoncello many times from this Sicilian recipe from here:
http://italianintheus.blogspot.com/
2007/06/limoncello.html

And thanks for dropping by my blog and for your nice comments. :-)

Nora

Nora B. said...

p/s: the limoncello recipe above can be kept almost indefinitely in teh freezer. Due to the alcohol content, it doesn't freeze.

Peabody said...

Now that is using your head!

desie said...

this is great. i have tried making mandarin liqueur after a cooking class in tuscany and it's great as an after dinner drink.
you have lovely recipes in your site.i'll be back for more!
thanks for checking out my potato bread.

Glenna said...

orange liquer--what a fantastic idea! Wish I was on your gift list. :-)

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Oh wow! I had limoncello the first time I went to Italy (Sorrento for Millenium New Years Eve). I absolutely fell in love with Italy and was quite taken with Limoncello from memory. I'd love to try the mandarin version and might just try and make some.

Great tip Nora for keeping in the freezer.

Anonymous said...

I make this recipe. I made the Lemon though. I have made it every 4th of July since I was about 12. Of course I did not consume it until I was 21 but I made it with my Uncle Dominic. I prefer mine kept in thr freezer, served over a lot of ice and save the lemons themselves, as I use the juice over mine. I like tart things. It tastes just like a potent lemonade that way. I used a micoplane on mine and it sped up the process to extract the oils in the skin. I made it for a friend's party this summer. I made a gallon for them and everyone else brought their own bottle, however then ran out in about 3 hours. Let us know how the tangerine turns out.

Happy Holidays everyone.